Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi launch UID project in Maharashtra villageSeptember 29th, 2010 - 4:25 pm ICT by ANI
Nandurbar (Maharashtra), Sep 29 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, and Congress President Sonia Gandhi launched the ambitious Aadhaar/ Unique Identity (UID) project in Tembhli village in Maharashtra’s Nandurbar District on Wednesday.
Both Dr Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi distributed the first ten ‘Aadhaar’ cards of Unique Identification Authority of India to ten residents of the tribal village.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr Manmohan Singh said: “The poor did not have any identity proof. Due to this shortcoming, they could not open bank accounts or get ration cards. They could not avail the benefits of government welfare programmes because of this and many times, these benefits were pocketed by others.”
“We will give every opportunity to live a dignified life to our poor, scheduled castes and scheduled tribes’ people. We are moving fast in the field of technology. Nowhere in the world, has technology been used in such a big way. I hope every citizen will get this number very soon,” he added.
Sonia Gandhi also echoed similar views saying the unique identification numbers will help plug the loopholes in the Public Distribution System (PDS).
“The problem of fake ration cards will be over now,” she said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, Maharashtra Governor K Shankaranarayanan, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Alhuwalia and Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) chief Nandan Nilekani were present on the occasion.
The Unique Identification Authority of India started working in August 2009. The Government had committed to issuing the first set of Unique ID numbers in 12 to 18 months.
In the ensuing period of last one year, the infrastructure for this complex project has been set up. With the launch date for the project scheduled for September 29, the Unique ID Mission has achieved its goal of on-time delivery.
The goal of the UID Mission is to deliver Unique Identification Numbers (Aadhaar) to every resident in the country. In addition, it aims to establish a cost-effective, ubiquitous authentication infrastructure to easily verify these identities online and in real-time. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi to launch Unique Identification Numbers on Sept. 29 - Sep 27, 2010
- Maharashtra notches 10 mn unique ID registrations - Jun 30, 2011
- Maharashtra's Nandurbar to get first of unique identity numbers - Sep 27, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to launch Unique Identification Numbers today - Sep 29, 2010
- Maharashtra villager gets first unique number card - Sep 29, 2010
- UID to benefit common people: Manmohan (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- Each Unique ID number costs Rs.100: Nilekani - Dec 03, 2010
- One crore Indians get their unique ID number - Jun 30, 2011
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- Delhi CM hands over 140 provisional Beghar, UIDAI cards to vulnerable persons - Oct 04, 2010
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Unique Identification to make public distribution easier: Nilekani - Jul 13, 2010
- Chidambaram gives out smart ID cards in Andamans - Jan 22, 2012
- Over 2.8 crore unique identity numbers issued - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: ashok, castes, chavan, chief minister, complex project, congress president sonia gandhi, deputy chairman, dr manmohan singh, government welfare, launch, manmohan, manmohan singh, montek singh, nandan nilekani, nandurbar district, public distribution system, ration cards, shortcoming, time delivery, tribal village