Manmohan Singh ‘’s heart surgery beginsJanuary 24th, 2009 - 11:18 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 24 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh is undergoing heart surgery today at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi.
A team of 11 doctors from Asian Heart Institute, Mumbai led by Dr Ramakant Panda, are performing Dr. Singh’’s coronary artery bypass graft surgery. The operation is expected to last upto 6- 8 hours. According to hospital sources, during the surgery, doctors will try to develop an alternate route for the supply of blood by sidelining the blocked part using graft of arteries and vessels derived from other parts of the body.
The coronary artery bypass surgery is performed when arteries get blocked and procedures like angioplasty or medicines fail to clear the blockage.
Surgeons using blood vessels from some other parts of body will create an alternate route by sidelining the blocked part to carry blood.
Dr. Singh was admitted into the hospital on Friday afternoon.
Earlier in the week, the Prime Minister had complained of chest pain and then went through a series of tests where some blockages were found in his arteries.
Dr. Singh underwent a cardiac bypass surgery in 1990 in UK, and angioplasty in Delhi in 2004 in which stents were introduced in his arteries.
Grafts, which were used to bypass the diseased vessel on Dr. Singh 18 years ago, have once again started to narrow.
Meanwhile, President Pratibha Patil has assigned the additional charge of the Ministry of Finance to External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee from today onwards till Dr. Singh recovers after undergoing medical treatment. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh undergoing bypass surgery - Jan 24, 2009
- New way to treat heart blocks: Drug eluting balloon - Sep 18, 2011
- Latest scan can tell need for bypass - Aug 29, 2012
- Gogoi to undergo heart surgeries in Mumbai - Jul 30, 2010
- Gogoi to undergo heart surgeries in Mumbai (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 30, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to undergo bypass surgery at AIIMS tomorrow - Jan 23, 2009
- Mumbai heart hospital ranked safest in world - Jun 08, 2012
- Patient who underwent angioplasty at 94, steps into 100th year - Nov 25, 2010
- PM doing fine, to be ''fully active'' within six weeks - Jan 25, 2009
- New angiography technique a boon for many - Feb 03, 2012
- Doctors to remove Prime Minister''s stitches today - Feb 08, 2009
- Growing arteries could lead to 'biological bypass' - Mar 09, 2010
- Growing new arteries could lead to 'biological bypass' for heart disease - Mar 09, 2010
- More strokes, fewer heart attacks with carotid stents: Study - Oct 12, 2010
- Drug-coated stents less risky for heart bypass patients - Jan 22, 2009
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, artery bypass graft surgery, bypass graft surgery, cardiac bypass surgery, coronary artery bypass, coronary artery bypass graft, coronary artery bypass graft surgery, coronary artery bypass surgery, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, heart institute, hospital sources, india institute, manmohan singh, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, ramakant