Manmohan Singh reviews financial inclusion effortsSeptember 17th, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 17 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, on Friday reviewed the progress towards financial inclusion by banks in India.
Dr Singh was briefed on the efforts being made by banks to reach banking services through information and communication technology based models and banking intermediaries to 73,000 rural habitations having population of over 2000 as per the 2001 census by March 2012.
The Prime Minister also reviewed the safety and security measures put in place for such banking transactions being executed through the business correspondents.
Dr Singh desired that these technology driven banking models must be fully exploited to ensure that the benefits under the various Government programs such as National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA), pensions etc become available to the beneficiaries living in remote villages faster, more efficiently and with lesser intermediation cost.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor D. Subbarao and Secretary (Financial Services) R. Gopalan were present on the occasion along with Dr Singh.
On the occasion, State Bank of India Chairman O.P. Bhatt and Punjab National Bank CMD K.R. Kamath presented through hand-held devices the various technologies of branchless banking being used by them to reach banking services in the rural interiors.
These services include deposit, withdrawal, remittance and other facilities.
Presently, India has about 32000 rural bank branches, and the government in order to facilitate inclusive growth throughout the country has in the Budget Speech 2010-2011 directed banks to extend the reach of financial services to all the villages having a population of more than 2000.
This would enable the rural hinterland to become fully connected with the financial sector in India. (ANI)
- Banks must use technology to ensure financial inclusion: PM - Sep 17, 2010
- Biggest challenge before nation is to ensure inclusive growth: Mukherjee - Mar 12, 2011
- Inclusive growth biggest challenge for country: Pranab - Mar 12, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee promises more rural banks - Feb 11, 2011
- FM asks banks to achieve the target of providing banking, financial services to all by 2011 - Sep 07, 2010
- Indian economy to grow at 9 % in 2011-12, says Pranab Mukherjee - Sep 16, 2010
- Mukherjee asks PSBs to accelerate financial deepening - Aug 14, 2010
- India to have 5 crore more bank accounts by March 2012 - Feb 10, 2011
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- Bank branches to come up in 43,000 new rural areas - Aug 22, 2011
- Inclusive Development Strategy Focusing on Income and Non-Income Dimensions Required: FM - Feb 25, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi launches 'Swabhimaan campaign' in Delhi - Feb 10, 2011
- RBI governor tells banks to speed up reach to people - Dec 06, 2010
- SBI-AISECT introduce mobile banking services - Oct 20, 2010
- PNB's total business reaches Rs 6.21 lakh crore - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,