Manmohan Singh expects defence exchanges with China to continueApril 17th, 2011 - 12:26 am ICT by ANI
By Naveen Kapoor
New Delhi, Apr 16 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, who returned home on Saturday after a five-day visit to China and Kazakhstan, said that he expects defence exchanges with China to continue.
“It was a very cordial meeting (with Chinese President Hu Jintao). We discussed bilateral economic issues and trade imbalances. We also discussed other relevant issues relating to international situation, cooperation between our two countries, possibilities of cooperation between the two countries in international foras in G20, WTO and in the UN Security Council,” Dr. Singh said.
“With regard to defence exchanges, my expectation is that they would be continued and also there was a proposal from the Chinese side when Premier Wen Jiabao came to India to look at the new mechanisms to maintain peace and tranquility on the border, work is in progress, some concrete result would be visible in the future,” he added.
Dr. Singh had arrived in China’s resort city of Sanya on a four-day visit on Tuesday to take part in the third BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa) summit.
During their meeting on the sidelines of the summit, Dr. and Jintao had said that the two emerging economies need to properly deal with their differences and continue the boundary talks to find solutions that are acceptable to both sides.
Dr. Singh was accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur.
The other senior members of the delegation included Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma; Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister; National Security Advisor; and other senior officials from the Prime Minister’s Office and from the Ministry of External Affairs.
The Prime Minister was also accompanied by a media delegation and a business delegation, including representatives from the FICCI and the CII. (ANI)
- India, China to coordinate on border affairs - Apr 13, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to leave for third BRICS Summit in China tomorrow - Apr 11, 2011
- PM says we should take note of 'people's power' - Apr 17, 2011
- Ties with China stable, says India - Apr 12, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Chinese President Hu Jintao - Apr 13, 2011
- China pledged to reduce trade imbalance: PM - Apr 17, 2011
- India, China move to resolve disputes, increase trade (Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011
- PM arrives in China - Apr 12, 2011
- India, China eyeing intensifying partnership, continue boundary talks - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian military delegation to visit China - Apr 27, 2011
- Manmohan Singh back after visit to China, Kazakhstan - Apr 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Russian President Dmitry Medvedev - Apr 13, 2011
- Hu in India Wednesday: trade imbalance, cultural ties on agenda - Mar 27, 2012
- India, China to resume high-level military exchanges - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS leaders issue Sanya Declaration - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: africa summit, border work, brics, business delegation, chinese president hu, chinese side, concrete result, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, emerging economies, foras, india china, industries minister, international situation, manmohan singh, ministry of external affairs, national security advisor, peace and tranquility, principal secretary, summit dr