Manmohan Singh discusses Cabinet reshuffle with Sonia GandhiJanuary 18th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 18 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Tuesday met Congress President Sonia Gandhi amid speculation that a reshuffle of the Union Council of Ministers is on the cards later this week.
Gandhi met Dr. Singh at his 7 Race Course residence. She was accompanied by her political secretary Ahmed Patel.
The meeting comes a day after Dr. Singh met President Pratibha Devisingh Patil.
Though it was described as a routine meeting, there are indications that Dr. Singh may reshuffle his UPA Ministers later this week
Sonia Gandhi has already held two rounds of consultations with Dr. Singh over the issue.
The reshuffle could see some Cabinet ministers going to the Congress to oversee party work, while others may see their portfolios change.
While the telecom portfolio is expected to remain with Congress in view of DMK’s handling of the charge pushing the government towards a virtual crisis, it is not clear that Kapil Sibal would be divested of any portfolio. He has charge of HRD, telecom and science and technology.
Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia is tipped to be the Minister of State for External Affairs. The post was left vacant after Shashi Tharoor resigned in the wake of the Indian Premier League (IPL) controversy.
Sharad Pawar, who currently holds three portfolios, could be divested of Food and Public Distribution. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh meets President Patil, cabinet reshuffle speculated - Jan 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to meet President Patil, may discuss cabinet reshuffle - Jan 17, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle expected in next 24 hours - Jan 18, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely after January 14 - Jan 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle buzz grows louder (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle Wednesday, new faces likely (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Manmohan meets president amid cabinet reshuffle reports (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh hosts private dinner for visiting Chinese Premier - Dec 15, 2010
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrives in Delhi - Dec 15, 2010
- Speculation on cabinet reshuffle intensifies - Jun 27, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet rejig likely in 3-4 days (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: cabinet ministers, cabinet reshuffle, congress president sonia gandhi, council of ministers, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, external affairs, hrd, ipl, jyotiraditya scindia, kapil sibal, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, political secretary, pratibha devisingh patil, public distribution, sharad pawar, technology minister, tharoor