Manmohan Singh dedicates Tarapur reprocessing plant to nationJanuary 7th, 2011 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
Tarapur (Maharashtra), Jan.7 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Friday dedicated a 100-tonne annual capacity reprocessing plant at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre ( BARC) here to the nation.
The plant will use spent fuel from indigenous nuclear power plants for fast breeder reactors.
Congratulating engineers and scientists for constructing the sophisticated complex in the coastal region, Dr. Singh described the reprocessing plant as essential for the country’s closed-fuel-cycle three-stage nuclear programme.
“The spent fuel reprocessing plant is a milestone in India’s three-stage nuclear programme,” he said, adding that it would help in the transition from the first stage to the second (of the programme) for building fast breeder reactors to produce sustainable and clean energy for the country.
“Tarapur itself will set an example of clean, economic and safe energy that our nation requires,” he said.
The reprocessing plant was also essential for subsequent thorium utilisation, he said, adding that the capabilities of the engineers and scientists could be utilised in new opportunities in international cooperation in nuclear energy. (ANI)
- PM unveils new Power Reactor Reprocessing Plant - Jan 07, 2011
- India committed to fast breeder reactor programme - Oct 10, 2010
- 86 percent work on Kalpakkam N-plant complete: Official - Apr 30, 2012
- BARC offers technology to turn sewage into fertiliser - Jul 28, 2012
- India's first fast breeder reactor to go critical early 2013 - Jan 21, 2012
- New AEC chairman Sinha expert on n-reactor technology (Profile) - Apr 30, 2012
- Nuclear technology will aid people, farms and factories: BARC director (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Nuclear brass allay fears over Jaitapur plant - Jan 07, 2011
- PM to launch fuel reprocessing plant - Jan 05, 2011
- Sekhar Basu new BARC chief - Jun 18, 2012
- Bhavini takes measures in favour of fast reactor project - Jun 11, 2012
- Ex-atomic energy regulator opposes n-deal with US (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Kudankulam to start full-load power generation by December - Sep 03, 2012
- R.K. Sinha takes over as BARC director - May 19, 2010
- India draws roadmap to 1,000 MW fast breeder reactor design - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: atomic research centre, bhabha atomic research centre, clean energy, coastal region, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, fast breeder reactors, fuel cycle, international cooperation, jan 7, maharashtra, manmohan, manmohan singh, milestone, new opportunities, nuclear energy, nuclear power plants, prime minister, safe energy, thorium