Manmohan Singh congratulates Chess Champion Viswanathan AnandOctober 30th, 2008 - 6:48 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 30 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today congratulated Viswanathan Anand on winning the World Chess Championship title in Bonn, Germany after ending the 11th game with Russia’’s Vladimir Kramnik in a draw.
In his message, the Prime Minister said that Viswanathan Anand has done the country proud with his exemplary performance at the highest level in his discipline. He has set a stellar example with his dedication and consistency to all sportspersons in the country.
Anand won three games, drew seven times and lost once en route to winning the competition by 6.5 points to 4.5.
With this win, he became the first player in chess history to have won the World Championship in three different formats: Knockout, Tournament and Match.
He will next defend his title in the World Chess Championship 2009 against the winner of the challenger match between Veselin Topalov and Gata Kamsky.
Anand is one of four players in history to break the 2800-mark on the FIDE rating list. He was on the top of the world-rating list five out of six times from April 2007 to July 2008. In October 2008, he dropped out of the world top 3 for the first time since July 1996. (ANI)
- Viswanathan Anand retains World Chess title - Oct 30, 2008
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- World champion Anand still eager to learn: Grand Master Ganguly (Interview) - Jun 04, 2012
- Vishwanathan Anand honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award - Sep 08, 2010
- Viswanathan Anand's parents proud of him becoming 'King of Chess' - May 12, 2010
- Will continue to take help of big players: Anand - Jun 14, 2010
- Anand cements place among all-time greats of chess (Profile) - May 12, 2010
- Chess champ Anand against playing 'in silence' during world championship - Apr 24, 2010
- Anand not worried about his lean year - Dec 22, 2009
Tags: anand, bonn germany, challenger, chess champion, chess history, dr manmohan singh, exemplary performance, gata kamsky, knockout tournament, manmohan, manmohan singh, oct 30, seven times, six times, stellar example, three games, top of the world, veselin topalov, vladimir kramnik, world chess championship