Manmohan Singh calls on Emir of Qatar in DohaNovember 10th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by ANI
Qatar, Nov 10 (ANI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is on a three-day visit to Gulf countries met ruler of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani on Monday.
Singh spoke to Thani about wide-range of issues including economic, commercial and energy ties between the two countries.
Leaders of both the nations also discussed measures to tackle global recession and also talked about bilateral trade and cooperation. Supply of natural gas was another subject, which came up for discussion.
Sources said that the meeting was fruitful as far as strengthening bi-lateral trade and cooperation is concerned.
Earlier, India and Qatar signed agreements on defence and security in an attempt to further bilateral ties.
Union Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, Planning Commission Chief Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Junior External Affairs Minister E Ahmed, National Security Advisor M. K. Narayanan and N Ravi, Secretary (East) in India’’s Ministry of External Affairs are also accompanying the Prime Minister.
Sources say that India and Qatar are likely to review their energy cooperation policies and sign an important agreement on petroleum and gas front with India’’s Oil and Petroleum Minister, Murli Deora.
Deora is scheduled to have a high level meeting with his counterpart Abdullah bin Hamad al Attiyah to discuss the possibility of Qatar providing an additional 2.5 million tonnes of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) to meet the growing demand of India.
With the third-largest gas reserves in the world, Qatar is the world’’s largest exporter of LNG and aims to boost capacity to 77 million tonnes per year by 2010, up from around 38 million tonnes now.
Qatar’’s average oil production is 840000 barrels per day. The main emphasis at present is on exploiting massive gas reserves of 900 trillion cu ft –the third largest in the world. These reserves will be enough to support the planned production of natural gas for over 200 years. (ANI)
- India, Qatar sign oil pact, discuss Indians' welfare (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- India, Qatar sign oil and gas pact - Apr 09, 2012
- India, Qatar to hold talks: Oil, Taliban on agenda - Apr 04, 2012
- Qatar's Deputy Premier meets Manmohan Singh - Mar 23, 2010
- India asks Qatar for additional 3 mn tonnes of gas - Apr 23, 2012
- Qatari emir to visit India, with gas sale, investment on agenda - Mar 04, 2012
- India, Qatar deepen energy ties, seek to promote investments (News Analysis) - Apr 13, 2012
- India seeks more gas, oil from Qatar - Apr 02, 2012
- 'Qatar needs to ensure better protection of Indian workers' - Apr 07, 2012
- 'Qatar needs to ensure better protection of Indian workers' (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistan, Qatar to cooperate in energy, trade - Feb 07, 2012
- India seeks Qatari investment in oil and gas sector - Oct 28, 2011
- Qatar may meet India's long-term gas demand - Dec 16, 2009
- Qatar to supply additional LNG to India - Mar 22, 2010
- Qatar ready to increase LNG supplies to India - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: bilateral ties, bin hamad, cooperation policies, doha qatar, emir of qatar, energy cooperation, external affairs minister, global recession, largest exporter, liquefied natural gas, manmohan singh, ministry of external affairs, montek singh ahluwalia, murli deora, national security advisor, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, production of natural gas, sheikh hamad bin, sheikh hamad bin khalifa al thani