Manmohan Singh calls first Cabinet meet todayMay 23rd, 2009 - 11:52 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 23 (ANI): A day after taking oath as Prime Minister for the second term, Manmohan Singh called a meeting of the Union Cabinet today.
According to sources, it is likely to take a decision on convening a Parliament session to enable new members to take oath. President Pratibha Patil will be addressing a joint sitting of both the houses during the session.
Earlier, Dr. Singh visited Mahatma Gandhi’s memorials besides those of other departed leaders and placed a wreath on them.
He was sworn-in as Prime Minister for a second term along with 19 other Cabinet ministers on Friday.
The 76-year-old, soft-spoken economist is the first Prime Minister since post-independence after Jawaharlal Nehru to be returned to office after completing a full term.
Senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee, NCP chief Sharad Pawar, A K Antony, P Chidambaram, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, former Chief Ministers S M Krishna, Ghulam Nabi Azad, and Veerappa Moily were inducted in the Cabinet.
Kamal Nath, Sushilkumar Shinde, S Jaipal Reddy, Meira Kumar, Vayalar Ravi, Murli Deora, Kapil Sibal, B K Handique, Ambika Soni, Anand Sharma and C P Joshi also took oath as Cabinet Ministers.
Friday’s swearing-in would be followed by an expansion of the Council of Ministers on May 26. The expansion would include Cabinet Ministers, Ministers of State (MoS) with independent charge as well as other Ministers of State. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh takes oath as PM along with 19 cabinet ministers - May 22, 2009
- Government's top priority will be restoring economy: PM - May 22, 2009
- 19 ministers to be sworn in - May 22, 2009
- PM, 19 cabinet ministers to take oath in first lot - May 22, 2009
- 15th Lok Sabha's first session to begin on June 1: Govt. - May 23, 2009
- Four new faces in union cabinet, Arjun Singh left out (Lead) - May 22, 2009
- 19 cabinet ministers in Manmohan Singh's A-team (Second Lead) - May 22, 2009
- Manmohan shuffles ministers but pack of cards is old - Jan 19, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Chidambaram new finance minister, Shinde gets home - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde likely to be new leader of Lok Sabha - Jul 17, 2012
- 18 Assam ministers sworn in - May 27, 2011
- The new council of ministers after Wednesday's reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- Sushilkumar Shinde: Ex-cop is India's home minister (Profile) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: ambika soni, anand sharma, congress leader, ghulam nabi azad, jaipal reddy, jawaharlal nehru, kamal nath, kapil sibal, mahatma gandhi, manmohan singh, meira kumar, ministers of state, murli deora, p chidambaram, parliament session, sharad pawar, sushilkumar shinde, trinamool congress chief, vayalar ravi, veerappa