Manmohan is first Indian PM to visit Nigeria in 45 yearsNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:56 am ICT by admin
Singh is expected to hold extensive discussion with Nigerian President Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua on bilateral, regional and multilateral issues. He will also be addressing a joint session of the Nigerian Parliament.
With Nigeria being India’s largest trading partner in Africa, and one of the largest crude oil suppliers, the agenda for the talks will focus on enhanced energy cooperation, as various Indian projects (both public and private) in the crucial oil sector are at different stages there.
Public sector major National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) is currently negotiating with the Nigerian government to explore new areas of energy cooperation in the country.
The bilateral trade between India and Nigeria accounted for 7.9 billion dollars in 2006-07.
During the two-day visit, several MoUs related to energy and defence cooperation are expected to be signed by the two countries
India, which has long-standing military ties with Nigeria, has been involved in training of Nigerian defence personnel. The Indian Army has also set up military training institutions there.
Singh’s visit will be a delight for over 25 thousand Indian expatriates living there, who would be getting to witness the visit of Indian Prime Minister after more than four decades. (ANI)
- President condoles death of Nigerian president - May 06, 2010
- Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua's Health In Huge Speculation - Jan 11, 2010
- Nigeria's absentee president returns home - Feb 25, 2010
- Ban Ki-moon saddened over death of Nigerian President Yar'Adua - May 07, 2010
- U.S.-Nigeria Binational Commission to be inaugurated in April - Apr 06, 2010
- Nigerian court asks cabinet to decide ill president's future - Jan 22, 2010
- India to help boost Nigeria's air defences - May 17, 2012
- Human Rights Watch urges Nigeria's new president to take concrete steps to address problems - May 30, 2011
- Nigerian pushes for direct flights to India as trade booms (Interview with foreign minister) - Mar 17, 2011
- Nigerian President Yar'Adua dead - May 06, 2010
- Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua Dies At 58 - May 06, 2010
- India-Nigeria defence cooperation to get boost - Jul 05, 2010
- Nigeria was in total 'confusion' when President was in "semi-comatose state": Wikileaks - Dec 09, 2010
- Nigerian militants attack Shell oil platform - Jun 29, 2009
- Nigerian court adjourns cases on absentee president (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: capital of nigeria, crucial, defence cooperation, energy cooperation, India, indian expatriates, indian prime minister, indian projects, more than four decades, multilateral issues, national thermal power, national thermal power corporation, nigerian parliament, ntpc, oil suppliers, pandit jawaharlal nehru, prime minister manmohan singh, yar adua