Manmohan demands effective action against terrorists, Zardari asks for more timeJune 17th, 2009 - 4:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 17(ANI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday revealed that the Indian Government has asked its Pakistani counterpart to take efficient action against the elements responsible for terrorism in India as it is taking against Al Qaeda and Taliban in the tribal areas.
Briefing reporters onboard about his meeting with Pakistan President Asaf Ali Zardari while returning from Yeketerinberg, Manmohan Singh said ” I explained to him (Zardari) that while Pakistan has taken action against Taliban and Al Qaeda, we have a strong feeling that those elements who are active against in perpetrating terrorists acts in our country they are not being brought to justice”.
“I would like Pakistan to show the same determination in dealing with terrorists who operate from Pakistani soil and commits acts of terror against our country.” He added.
Meanwhile, Pakistan has assured action against terrorists and emphasised that Islamabad is contemplating to appeal against the release of Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief in the higher court.
However, Pakistan President Zardari has requested India for more time.
According to Manmohan Singh “Zardari told him about the difficulties Pakistan is facing in controlling terrorism and asked India to bear with him and give him some more time to control terrorism ‘.
Zardari and Manmohan will be meeting again on the margins of NAM at Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt next month, the meet will be crucial and could decide or chart the way for the resumption of peace dialogue, which has been suspended since 26/11 Mumbai attacks last year.
During this meeting, both the leaders will take stock of what Pakistan has done to prevent terrorism and what measures are they planning to take up.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has indicated India’s willingness to make peace with Pakistan.
” I have spoken of a cooperative subcontinent and of the vital interest of India and the people of subcontinent for this we must try and make peace with Pakistan,” said Singh.
Sing reiterated “We can choose our friends but we have to live with our neighbours therefore it is obligatory for us not to close channels of communication with Pakistan”. (ANI)
- Manmohan-Zardari meeting: India to press for action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- India puts Pakistan to terror test, sets mid-July deadline (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- Potential game-changer: Manmohan yes to Pakistan visit (Roundup) - Apr 08, 2012
- Terrorists should be punished, says PM - Apr 04, 2012
- India to review Pakistan's actions on terror before talks: PM - Jun 17, 2009
- Keen to visit Pakistan but in 'proper atmosphere': Manmohan Singh - Aug 31, 2012
- India, Pakistan home secretary-level talks likely in May - Apr 09, 2012
- PM says "proper atmosphere" needed for Pakistan visit - Aug 31, 2012
- India cautions Karzai over Taliban deal, opposes external meddling (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Pakistan hopes Manmohan-Zardari talks will push peace (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- Afghan foreign minister briefs Manmohan Singh on peace plan (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- PM, Zardari talks on right track, says Indian media - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: asaf, counterpart, effective action, emphasised, indian government, manmohan, manmohan singh, margins, New Delhi, peace dialogue, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resumption, sharm el sheikh, sharm el sheikh egypt, strong feeling, subcontinent, terrorism in india, tribal areas, vital interest