Manipuris protest against military junta in MyanmarNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:05 am ICT by admin
Activists of Burma Solidarity, an organisation campaigning against the military junta in Myanmar, along with people belonging to Zomi tribe organised a demonstration to show solidarity with the people of Myanmar.
“More than ten thousand people and Buddhist monks have been arrested in Myanmar. So we need the sympathies, we need the support of the world. So that’s why we are organising demonstrations in various states of India,” said Thura, who is the president of the Burmese Solidarity Organisation.
The activists said they look forward to concrete steps from the Indian government for an early restoration of democracy in Myanmar.
“They (Burmese) are fighting for democracy and we are enjoying democracy in India and so we want our brothers and sisters in Burma to enjoy democracy with us,” said James Sumkhanzam, Assistant General Secretary of Zomi Students’ Federation. (ANI)
- Capital's Burmese community celebrates Suu Kyi's release - Nov 13, 2010
- Burmese refugees disappointed over Than Shwe's India visit - Jul 27, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban threatens Myanmar over Muslim attacks - Jul 26, 2012
- India, Myanmar boost ties, sign counter-terror pact (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- EU foreign policy chief meets with Burma's Suu Kyi - Apr 29, 2012
- Burmese Buddhist monks share plight with Tibetan exiles - Jan 27, 2010
- Myanmar diaspora apprehensive yet hopeful after Suu Kyi's victory - Apr 02, 2012
- Thousands flee Myanmar after clashes at Thai border - Nov 08, 2010
- Burmese pro-democracy activists protest against Suu Kyi's house arrest - Aug 12, 2009
- Northeast MPs moot forum to discuss Myanmar issue - Mar 09, 2012
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- Myanmarese commemorate ''Saffron Revolution'' anniversary in New Delhi - Sep 27, 2008
- Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks by phone with Suu Kyi - Dec 18, 2010
- Myanmar refugees do not want to quit India - Jun 10, 2012
- Protest against upcoming Myanmar polls in New Delhi - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: activists, assistant general, brothers and sisters, buddhist monks, burma, burmese, campaigning, concrete steps, democracy in india, general secretary, indian government, military government, military junta, myanmar, organising, seen hundreds, solidarity, states of india, sympathies, zomi