Manipuris protest against kidnapping of engineersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
They were reportedly kidnapped by the KRA cadres between Napetpali and Nongren under Lamlai Police Station’s jurisdiction while they were on their way back after inspecting water supply schemes being undertaken at Lamlai and surrounding areas in Imphal.
The families of the abducted officials said that they were informed over telephone that the officials were in the custody of the KRA.
When contacted by the officials of PHED, KRA demanded Rs. 10 million in exchange for the safe release of the three engineers.
The officials at the PHED have expressed their anger at the growing incidents of such kidnappings.
“We have to stop work on water supply to the public as our people have been abducted. The kidnappers have demanded a huge amount of money for the release of our colleagues. I fail to understand from where we get so much money to meet the abductors’ demands,” said R S Very Pam, Additional Chief Engineer, PHED.
This incident is not the first of its kind to hit the department. In February, an Assistant Engineer and a Section Officer were also kidnapped by the same group and later released after negotiations and the ransom amount was paid. (ANI)
- Three PHED officials released after 18 days' captivity in Manipur - Nov 14, 2007
- Two Manipur militants arrested in Delhi - Dec 07, 2010
- Militants abduct government engineers in Manipur - Nov 28, 2010
- Militancy related problems not yet over in Manipur - Mar 05, 2011
- Hiding PLA militant held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Abductions for extortion by militants rising in Manipur - Dec 20, 2009
- Militants now target state departments and officials in Manipur - Apr 22, 2011
- Manipuri's fed up with repeated bomb attacks - Mar 03, 2010
- Family hoping for release of kidnapped Manipur sericulture official - Jun 04, 2010
- Kidnapped Manipuri kids return home after two days - Jul 22, 2010
- People flee villages following gun battle between Manipur militant groups - Jul 25, 2010
- Over 7.57 million homes in Bihar lack toilets - Aug 27, 2012
- German engineer abducted in Somalia - Jan 22, 2012
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Abductions for ransom in Manipur continue - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: 10 million, abducted, abductors, amount of money, assistant engineer, cadres, chief engineer, executive engineer, incidents, kidnappers, kidnappings, kra, october 12, officials, police station, ransom, section officer, water supply schemes