Manipur witnesses 62 per cent turn out in second phase of LS pollsApril 22nd, 2009 - 11:10 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, April 22 (ANI): About 62 per cent of 802,000 voters on Wednesday cast their votes in prestigious Inner Manipur parliamentary constituency for the second phase Lok Sabha polls, the election office stated.
The polls, which saw no untoward incident today, were held amid tight security in all 970 polling stations spread across four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur.
Election office sources said Thoubal district recorded a turnout of 70 per cent, followed by 66 per cent in Bishenpur, 50 per cent in Imphal east and Imphal west districts each.
Lilong area of Thoubal district which had a considerable number of Muslim voters recorded a turn out of 63 per cent, the sources said.
Although there are seven candidates in the fray, the main contest was between M. Nara of CPI, Th Chaoba of Manipur People’s Party and T Meinya of Congress. (ANI)
- Brisk polling in Manipur - Apr 22, 2009
- Polling for Inner Manipur seat begins - Apr 22, 2009
- Polling underway in Manipur - Apr 22, 2009
- Campaigning ends for Manipur's seat - Apr 20, 2009
- Manipur sees 60 percent polling in second phase (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Manipur records 40 percent polling till noon (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- 43 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants detained in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- Over 84 percent turnout in fourth phase of West Bengal polls - May 03, 2011
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- 61 percent turnout in third phase of Bihar panchayat polls - Apr 27, 2011
- Re-poll peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- 53 percent polling in West Bengal till 2 p.m. - Apr 23, 2011
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal first phase (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Assembly polls: Tamil Nadu records 75 pc voting, Kerala 74 pc, Puducherry 83 pc - Apr 13, 2011