Manipur villagers thwart kidnapping attemptDecember 31st, 2008 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
Bishenpur, Dec.31 (ANI): Fed up with the activities of militants in Manipur, people have started acting against them on their own without waiting for the police or other security personnel.
Recently, villagers of Kwakta in Manipurs Bishenpur District successfully prevented an attempt to kidnap a villager by militants. In the clash between villagers and the militants two persons were killed and four were injured including two militants.
Roshan, a local resident, said: Activities like extortion, kidnapping of people and
demanding large sums of amount frequently, happen in our village. The clash was in reaction against such mindless activities which the people have been tolerating for long.
Angry villagers set ablaze five houses of militants at Ukha Tampak Village in Manipur and beat to death an assailant involved in the attempted abduction.
M.V. Kheirudding, a local resident, said: We are all brothers and sisters living together in the village. I request everyone not to indulge in such activities.
The militants groups here have taken a heavy toll on the growth and development of the state. Today, people are no longer willing to accept the militants claims that they represent the interests of the Manipuri society.
People across Manipur wish that their area should develop economically like the rest of the country. They want to prevent militants indulging in anti-social activities and extorting money in the disguise of public cause. (ANI)
- Ibobi supports NCTC, stresses human rights angle - May 05, 2012
- Reduced militancy providing relief to North East people - Apr 11, 2010
- Suspected rebels kill eight in troubled northeast India - Apr 16, 2011
- Top militant leaders arrested in Assam - Jun 13, 2012
- Militants in Manipur want journalists and doctors to follow their diktats - Sep 21, 2010
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- No rise in violent incidents in North East during 2008-10 (Jan. to June) - Jul 28, 2010
- Security forces launch operation against Naga rebels - Aug 22, 2010
- Unending violence instills fear among Manipuris - Feb 21, 2011
- Nine Hindi-speaking people among 12 killed in northeast - May 12, 2009
- UNLF chairman, 18 other separatists formally charged - Feb 15, 2011
- Manipuris protest against bomb attacks - Jan 18, 2010
- Hiding PLA militant held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Abductions for extortion by militants rising in Manipur - Dec 20, 2009
Tags: angry villagers, assailant, attempted abduction, brothers and sisters, clash, disguise, extortion, five houses, growth and development, kidnapping attempt, militants, money, security personnel, sums, two persons, villager