Manipur tribes celebrate seed sowing festivalFebruary 16th, 2011 - 7:11 pm ICT by ANI
Ukhrul , Feb 16 (ANI) : Tribes in Ukhrul district of Manipur converged to celebrate the colourful and traditional festival of Lui Ngai Ni, the seed-sowing festival.
People congregated for the event on Tuesday and wished for golden harvest, as the festival celebrated every year since 1987, marks the beginning of sowing.
The festival showcased colourful dance performances by different tribes.
“It is a cultural conclave where each tribe performs according to their own traditions, cultures and show their own identity. So, it is one of the biggest cultural festivals for us,” said Kol Reishang, a local.
This year the theme of the festival was ’sowing seeds for change’.
“The theme for this year’s festival is sowing seeds for change. The purpose would be to develop harmonious relationship among all communities. In order to maintain peaceful co-existence among our immediate neighbours, this festival would reinvigorate the oneness among all of us,” said Sung Sot, a local.
Ringed by China, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Bhutan, India’s northeast is home to more than 200 tribes. (ANI)
- Northeast celebrates seed sowing festival "Lui-Ngai-Ni" - Mar 07, 2010
- Northeast celebrates seed sowing festival "Lui-Ngai-Ni" - Mar 01, 2011
- Nagas celebrate annual seed sowing festival of Lui-Ngai-Ni - Feb 20, 2010
- Manipurs Lui-Ngai-Ni festival had message of peace - Mar 13, 2009
- Nagas in Manipur celebrate Lui Ngai-Ni festival - Feb 21, 2008
- Misings in Assam celebrate Ali Aye Ligang festival - Feb 17, 2011
- Tribals in Jharkhand celebrate 'Sarhul' with fervor - Mar 18, 2010
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Anal Naga Tribe in Manipur celebrates post harvest festival - Nov 17, 2009
- Festival in Berlin to mark Art of Living's 30 years - Jun 30, 2011
- Nagaland's Ao tribe celebrates Tsungremong festival - Aug 22, 2010
- Orrisa tribals celebrate 'Osaha Baliyatra' for better crop - Sep 21, 2009
- Week-long Kullu Dussehra festivity begins - Oct 06, 2011
- Shumang Leela festival held to promote northeast culture in Manipur - Mar 26, 2011
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, bhutan, china, conclave, cultural festivals, cultures, dance performances, different tribes, existence, golden harvest, harmonious relationship, India, myanmar, neighbours, oneness, seed sowing, sowing seeds, traditions, tribe, ukhrul