Manipur schools reopen after six monthsJanuary 12th, 2010 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Jan 12 (ANI): The students and their parents in Manipur here have heaved a sigh of relief as all the schools have reopened after a gap of six months.
The schools were reopened on Monday following the signing of an agreement between the government and Apunba Lup, an umbrella body of 23 organisations, on Friday (January 8) through which the latter called off its agitation.
Students who feared for their careers finally seemed relieved with the reopening of schools from Monday (January 11).
“For six months, there was no class. We have lost so much. But now as the classes have resumed, it will be good for all the students,” said Diana, an eleventh standard student.
The parents are also delighted to watch their children get back on the regular track.
“Earlier, the children wasted most of their time playing and stayed away from books. Their routine, which they maintained while going to school, was almost broken but now we are happy that the classes have resumed,” said Ruparani Devi, mother of a student.
A bustling crowd of parents, teachers and students were seen outside the schools in the State.
“We were feeling very sad. We were feeling out of the place. Children were feeling sad. We were thinking what to do but now we are quite happy,” said Sister Mary, a primary school teacher.
Manipur has been on the boil since the killing of a pregnant woman and a suspected militant in a shootout on July 23 last year, near the building of the State Legislature in Imphal. Five others were injured in the shootout.
Protestors under the aegis of Apunba Lup, boycotted classes to protest the encounter, which they insisted was fake.
Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh had ordered a judicial probe into the killing and suspended the six police personnel, who were reportedly involved in the incident. (ANI)
- Manipur parents, students relieved as schools reopen - Jan 17, 2010
- Manipur schools, colleges to open after four months - Jan 08, 2010
- Manipur schools, colleges still shut after three months - Dec 09, 2009
- Academic year at stake as Manipur schools open after four months - Jan 19, 2010
- Imphal students protest against suspension of classes - Feb 13, 2011
- Apunba Lup holds torch rallies in Manipur over fake encounter killings - Aug 06, 2009
- Shutdown cripples life in most parts of Manipur - Apr 08, 2010
- Educational institutions in Manipur shut for three weeks - Oct 02, 2009
- Manipur schools, colleges shut for over a month - Oct 18, 2009
- Activists submit a memorandum about 'fake encounters' to Manipur Governor - Aug 11, 2009
- Normal life badly affected in Manipar on first day of general strike - Aug 18, 2009
- Congress will win minimum 35 seats: Okram Ibobi Singh - Jan 28, 2012
- Educational institutes closure may cost a year to Manipuri students - Nov 14, 2009
- Congress set to score hat trick in Manipur (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Apunba Lup now dares to take out torch rally in curfew bound Imphal - Aug 05, 2009
Tags: aegis, agitation, boil, chief minister, crowd, diana, encounter, gap, judicial probe, organisations, parents, pregnant woman, protestors, school teacher, sigh of relief, sister mary, six months, state legislature, umbrella body