Manipur hosts annual theatre festivalShumang LeelaFebruary 9th, 2009 - 10:59 pm ICT by ANI
By L.C.K. Singh
Imphal, Feb. 9 (ANI): People in Manipur are attending the annual theatre festivalShumang Leela, which commenced last week and would last till February end.
Not many may know but the art form derives its name from ”Shumang”, which means ”courtyard” in local parlance.
The festival has traditionally been showcasing several plays based on contemporary themes. Though these performance have popularly been known to have an all-male cast performing in them, of late young women have also started getting roles in the Shumang plays.
Organisers say the month-long festival aims to revive the popular tradition.
“We are organizing this festival because this art form is very popular throughout the state both in the rural and urban areas. The plays will be staged and audience will see the plays and its ideas and messages. The goodwill of the play will be recognized by the people,” said Bideshwar Sharma, assistant secretary of Manipur State Kala (fine art) Academy.
At least 29 Shumang Leela troupes are participating in the festival organised by the State’’s fine art academy and the All Manipur Shumang Leela Council. Of the total, eighteen are women groups and the rest the male groups.
Participating theatre artistes in this years Shumang Leela said the organization of the festival offers a platform to the talented youngsters to explore and nurture their talents.
“I joined this profession because of my love for art. I always think that government job is not only the job and we choose the field that we are passionate about,” said Somi Devi, an artiste.
Shumang Leela’’s origin goes back to the reign of King Chandrakriti in the 19th century. Today, the theatre form is a distinct facet of the state’’s identity (AnI)
- Shumang Leela festival held to promote northeast culture in Manipur - Mar 26, 2011
- Manipur hosts annual Shumang Leela festival - Feb 26, 2008
- Northeast India's ancient theatre comes to capital (With Image) - Apr 01, 2011
- New Delhi hosts theater festival to preserve Manipur's rich tradition - Apr 17, 2011
- Manipur theatrical societies promote Northeast's theatre - Apr 22, 2011
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- New York's Indian Film Festival To Start From November 10 - Sep 18, 2010
- Manipuri theatre artistes raise issues of social importance - Apr 24, 2009
- Laihui artists perform Phou-Oibi, a Manipuri Ballad Opera - Apr 17, 2009
- Performance art may be slogan of future - Feb 25, 2012
- Theatre festivals play an important role in Manipuri society - Feb 04, 2009
- Artists should look for art in rural India: Nageen Tanvir (With Image) - Sep 01, 2012
- Northeast artistes hold audience spellbound at Dill Haat - Oct 18, 2010
- Festival of India begins in China - Apr 08, 2010
- 2-day fest of ancient healing arts in Delhi May 16 - May 14, 2012
Tags: 19th century, art form, assistant secretary, audience, courtyard, facet, fine art academy, goodwill, government job, imphal, leela, love, male groups, parlance, profession, rural and urban areas, talented youngsters, talents, tradition, young women