Mani Shankar Aiyar reviews development work in Manipur villagesDecember 16th, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by ANI
By L.C.K Singh
Imphal, Dec.16 (ANI): Several people in Manipur despite living in a challenging environment marred by militancy are steadily exploring possibilities for economic advancement.
Union Minister of Development of North East Region (DONER), Mani Shankar Aiyar, recently paid a visit to various parts of Manipur to oversee projects taken up by North East Region Community Resource Management Project (NERCORMP).
NERCORMPs overall objective is to improve the livelihood of vulnerable groups in a sustainable manner through improved management of their resource base in a way that contributes to preservation and restoration of the environment. It is funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Aiyar’’s visit to various villages in Senapati, Ukhrul and Tamenglong districts of Manipur was intended at motivating the people to achieve this goal. During his visit Aiyar informed the people that World Bank would provide more funds and it would benefit Manipuris.
He also stressed that the people should work together to bring development and fight violence.
“I think the future of the whole of the North East region is also the future of India. So we have to finish underground, we have to stop extortion and violence. We have to live peacefully and work together to ensure that there is pure prosperity starting among the poorest people and in the most backward region, said Manishankar Aiyar.
Self Help Groups (SHG) that have been backed up by NERCORMP are a joint initiative of the Central Government and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
These SHGs aim to secure the participation of communities in planning and management of all development interventions so as to lead to self-reliant community institutions.
“After the coming of the IFAD project every women is busy in her own work and also the money problem in every situation we solve it from the SHG member whenever we are in need,” said A. Kapesa, a self-help group member.
N.Sukhojit Singh, Programme Manager, IFAD, Senapati District, said: “It is a comprehensive project we have taken. It is basically a livelihood project but here we have also taken up critical minimum infrastructure needs and also a lot of income generated activities.”
The Self-Help Groups are bringing about a change in Manipurs economy, eradicating poverty and helping in resource mobilization and improving self-governance among the people.
Such an effort reflects the aspirations of the people who want development and are willing to end militancy which has affected the growth and obstructed prosperity in the state. (ANI)
- World Bank to assist livelihood project in northeast India - Jul 07, 2010
- Uttarakhand to better farm livelihoods with UN loan - Feb 02, 2012
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Adding self-reliance to conservation, with jams and jellies - Feb 13, 2012
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal - Apr 04, 2012
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Declining insurgency fosters development in rural areas of Nagaland - Sep 16, 2010
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- World Bank extends $130 mn loan for North East development - Jan 20, 2012
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Budgetary allocation doubled but mixed response in northeast (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Empowering lives, transforming villages - the self-help way (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Allocation for northeast doubled to Rs.8,000 crore - Feb 28, 2011
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Himalayan rally of another kind - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: agricultural development, central government, community institutions, community resource management, development interventions, economic advancement, extortion, fight violence, imphal, improved management, management project, mani shankar aiyar, money problem, resource base, self help groups, shg, sustainable manner, ukhrul, union minister, vulnerable groups