Mango growers complain a bad season this yearMay 24th, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, May 24 (ANI): Following a low mango production and poor sales, the mango growers and traders in Maharashtra are a disappointed lot this year.
Vagaries of weather gods such as untimely rains and odd climatic conditions in the mango growing regions of Maharashtra have badly affected the orchard owners and other growers.
Sales have hit the nadir with even local customers hesitating to buy mangoes citing heavy prices being the reason.
In Pune, traders complained to have suffered losses of around rupees five to six million rupees (105,898 to 127,078 US dollars).
Reportedly, the mango production is below than average this year and in turn the shortage of mangoes in the market has shot up the prices.
“As compared to last year, it was less production this year. There were lesser goods in the market yard and also people are not buying mangoes much this year,” said Shivalal Bhosle, President Market Yard Merchants Association, Pune.
Besides,lovers of the delicious fruit complained that since the beginning of the mango season the prices of the mangoes have not come down.
“Prices of the mangoes are still high. The mango season is from April till May end but through out the season prices of mangoes were same,” said Sujit, a mango lover.
Many customers also rue the fact that several varieties of mangoes are yet to reach the market whereas the season is all set to end.
Traders also fear that with the beginning of the monsoon early this year, it will further affect sales of mangoes in the market. (ANI)
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Now order Alphonso mangoes through TV - May 03, 2011
- Mango exports from Pakistan goes down - May 26, 2012
- Himachal apple prices crash due to oversupply - Jul 04, 2010
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Consumer durable firms increase prices but say demand will be strong - Oct 18, 2011
- An apple a day to hit your monthly budget - Jul 24, 2011
- Good rainfall yields bumper production of apples in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 31, 2010
- Onion prices set to soon decline in Karnataka - Dec 22, 2010
- Strong gale damages mango crop in Bijnore - May 08, 2010
- Mango Festival begins in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Karnataka to set up pilot plant to produce coconut juice - Jan 13, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Air-conditioner sales to grow this summer - Mar 08, 2012