Mango exhibition in Jamnagar attracts visitors in large numbersJune 22nd, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by ANI
Jamnagar (Gujarat), June 22 (ANI): A mango exhibition held for the first time at Jamnagar in Gujarat showcasing 50 varieties of the fruit attracted visitors in large numbers.
Around 50 varieties of mangoes from all over India as well as abroad were put on display in the exhibition out of which 20 varieties were put up for sale.
The visitors were elated to see the different varieties of mangoes grown in Reliance Refinery like Kesar, Malda and Langda.
This is something superb, out of the world, I have not seen so many varieties at one place. This is excellent, said Ganga Dhar, a visitor.
The information about different types of mangoes was also put up for the benefit of the visitors during the four-day exhibition.
In Jamnagar refinery, one lakh plantation has been done on around 500 acres of land. 25-30 types of mangoes are being grown out of which kesar’ is the main variety, said Parimal Nathawani, Group president, Reliance.
In India, mango is cultivated in almost 42 per cent of the total land under fruit crops. Uttar Pradesh has the largest area of 0.27 million hectares of mango cultivation, but the farmers all over India, are dependent on nature for the success or failure of their harvest.
India is the world’s biggest producer of this tropical fruit contributing 59 per cent of total production but its share in the world mango market is less than 15 per cent.
It exports about 30,000 tonnes of mangoes every year to early 40 countries including Britain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Canada and now the Untied States and Japan. Mangoes account for around 39 per cent of the total fruit exports from India. (ANI)
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Mango farmers rejoice over bumper crop in Uttarakhand - Apr 16, 2011
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
- Hailstones damage mango crop in Maharashtra - May 06, 2010
- Haryana to host 18th 'Mango Mela' from Saturday - Jul 03, 2009
- Mango festival starts in Haryana - Jul 04, 2009
- Mango Festival begins in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Over 400 varieties of mangoes displayed in Delhi - Jul 04, 2010
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- 300 varieties of mango grows on a single tree in Malihabad - May 30, 2008
- Haryana mango production soars - Jul 03, 2010
- Indian scientists develop new rice variety for water-logged areas - Sep 22, 2010
- New rice variety developed for water-logged areas (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: exhibition, failure, farmers, fruit crops, fruit exports, group president, gujarat, hectares, kuwait, lakh, large numbers, malda, parimal, refinery, reliance, saudi arabia, tonnes, tropical fruit, types of mangoes, varieties of mangoes