Mangalore Police told to register complaint against Renuka ChowdhryFebruary 19th, 2009 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Mangalore/New Delhi, Feb 19 (ANI): The local court in Mangalore has asked police to register a complaint against Union Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Chowdhry after a resident lodged a petition against her for remarks that were termed derogatory.
” Renuka Chowdhry has done an offence by misusing criminal incidents and tried to outrage the criminal feelings, religious feelings and even caused defamation to the entire city of Mangalore. The judgement is a historical judgement whereby the court has directed the police to register an FIR against her,” said T.T Hegde, Counsel of Ganesh Hosabettu, the petitioner and mayor of Mangalore city.
Choudhary shrugged off the charges saying they were meant for “public consumption.”
“The whole country witnessed whatever happened outside the Mangalore pub. Media showed how few ordinary goons attacked the women who were present inside the pub. I questioned that who has given them this authority of hitting them and who were they objecting to. Actions are not being taken against them but me. This is so weird. I haven”t got any notice and this is just for the public consumption they are doing it,” said Choudhary. In the pub incident, police had arrested several members of the Sri Ram Sena whom some media are referring to as “India”’’s Taliban” after they assaulted women.
The Congress has charged the BJP-run state government with complicity in the attack, saying such acts could not have happened without the government”’’s support.
Hindu hardliners had attacked women in a pub last month and then daughter of a Kerala State Legislator and her male friend were attacked while traveling in a bus in the same city on February 6.
On February 11, a 16-year-old girl had committed suicide, publicly humiliated by allegedly Hindu radicals in Bangalore for moving around with a Muslim boy. (ANI)
- Renuka Chowdhry faces court over remarks on moral policing - Feb 17, 2009
- Court asks police to probe Renuka's 'Talibanisation' comment - Feb 18, 2009
- Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Court notice politically motivated: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 17, 2009
- Woman beats man to death for harassing her - Jun 20, 2011
- Mangalore pub attack against Indian ethos: Advani - Feb 28, 2009
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary - Jan 26, 2009
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Renuka criticizes Karnataka government on pub assault incident - Jan 26, 2009
- AIUDF protests over July 9 molestation, lawlessness - Jul 18, 2012
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Social media powering modern protests, note experts - Apr 17, 2012
- It is a 'political conspiracy', says sacked NCW member - Mar 02, 2009
- NCW for fast track court in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: complicity, criminal incidents, defamation, entire city, ganesh, goons, hardliners, hindu radicals, kerala state, local court, male friend, mangalore city, muslim boy, petitioner, pub media, public consumption, religious feelings, sri ram, state legislator, union minister