Manchetser City does an about turn, rules out Ronaldo dealSeptember 16th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept.16 (ANI): UAE conglomerate-owned Manchester City today appeared to have done an about turn on signing veteran Brazilian forward Ronaldo. The Brazil legend had claimed that he is weighing up a 60,000-pound offer from the cash-rich Premier League club that was once owned by former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
City has now revealed to The Sun that they will not be bringing the injury-prone striker to Eastlands.
A club spokesman said: We had shown a past interest in bringing the player to the football club in the right circumstances and spoke to him and his representatives. However, we have chosen not to pursue the matter.
Ronaldo had earlier claimed that Manchester City were on the brink of offering him a one-year deal to relaunch his career at Eastlands. The former Real Madrid and AC Milan striker, a free agent since leaving the San Siro at the end of June, said City had offered him a 60,000-pounds-a-week package to move to the Premier League.
Ronaldo, whose career has been ravaged by a series of knee injuries and regular problems with his weight, has spent recent weeks in Rio de Janeiro training with former club Flamengo.
The 31-year-old had said that he was keen to team up with his compatriot, 32.5 million pound British record signing Robinho, once he proved that he has recovered from the knee injury that ended his Milan career. The two-time FIFA World Footballer of the Year has been out of competitive action since rupturing ligaments in his left knee in February, and is expected to be out of action until December.
City, now billed as the worlds richest club following Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyans arrival at the club earlier this month, are determined to continue to build their global profile. (ANI)
- Ronaldo tempted by Manchester City''s 60K pound offer - Sep 16, 2008
- Adriano to begin practicing with Flamengo - Mar 24, 2012
- Flamengo still eyeing Adriano return - Aug 16, 2012
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011
- Man U's bemused Fergie tells shifty Roo to respect club and its traditions - Oct 20, 2010
- Adriano can revive career with Flamengo: Zico - Apr 02, 2012
- City reject AC Milan's bid for Tevez - Jan 13, 2012
- Flamengo to re-sign Adriano, says coach - May 02, 2012
- Inter Milan in contact with Tevez - Jan 14, 2012
- Adriano cleared to resume training - Aug 21, 2012
- Adriano signs with Flamengo - Aug 22, 2012
- Kolo Toure could face two-year ban for failing drugs test - Mar 04, 2011
- Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras - Jun 03, 2012
- AC Milan's Pato injured - Aug 23, 2012
- Man City's 22 million pound contract for Mancini - May 09, 2012
Tags: ac milan, club spokesman, compatriot, conglomerate, footballer of the year, free agent, knee injuries, knee injury, left knee, ligaments, manchester city, real madrid, rio de janeiro, ronaldo, san siro, striker, thai prime minister, thaksin shinawatra, world footballer of the year, zayed