Man succumbs to bullet injury, Kashmir toll 47 (Lead)

August 5th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS  

Srinagar, Aug 5 (IANS) The violence in the Kashmir Valley claimed its 47th victim since June 11 as a civilian Thursday succumbed to a bullet injury received during protests here a day earlier.
Fifty-year-old Gulam Muhammad Badyari was injured in firing by security forces late Wednesday when a mob attacked a paramilitary picket in Gunpatyar area, police said.

Doctors at the hospital where the victim was admitted said he succumbed to his injuries. His body was being handed over to his relatives.

A youth, identified as Muhammad Yaqoob Bhat, was killed in similar firing by security force in Nund Reshi colony here Wednesday evening.

The number of civilians killed in firing by security forces since Friday has risen to 30, taking the death toll since June 11 to 47.

A nervous calm prevailed as authorities decided to continue curfew in the entire Srinagar and all other major towns of the Kashmir Valley.

“Curfew continues in Srinagar and the people are advised to remain indoors,” said a senior police officer.

Hardline separatist leader and chairman of the breakaway Hurriyat group, Syed Ali Geelani, who was released Wednesday, also urged people to shun violence and protest peacefully.

“Violence and arson have no place in our struggle,” Geelani told reporters Wednesday. However, Geelani’s group has called for shutdowns and protests till Saturday.

People have been asked to start normal activities Sunday to buy and store essentials.

Masrat Alam, chief of the separatist Muslim League, a constituent of Geelani’s Hurriyat group, has called for shutdowns and protests till Saturday.

“The next calendar will be made public Sunday evening,” Alam said in a statement issued Tuesday.

People living in curfew-bound areas are complaining of hardships as milk, bread, baby food and medicines have run into short supply.

“There is a shortage of essential commodities in our area which has remained under curfew for five days now,” said Mehraj-ud-Din, a resident of Narwara locality in Srinagar’s Old City.

“Even when security forces are removed in the evening, there is no official announcement about lifting or relaxation in curfew. This prevents most locals from venturing out,” he added.

Shops, markets, educational institutions, banks and post offices are closed in Srinagar and all other major towns of the valley. Traffic has gone off the roads.

Due to non-availability of public transport, attendance in government offices was very thin here.

Kashmir University has postponed all its exams up to Aug 17. These exams were otherwise scheduled to be held before the middle of this month.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |