Man saves his pet pooch by punching shark on its jaws!October 2nd, 2008 - 3:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 2 (ANI): A 53-year-old carpenter in the U.S. saved his dog from the jaws of a shark by diving into the water and punching the fish.
Greg LeNoir has revealed that he was swimming at a Florida Keys marina when a five-feet long shark suddenly came up underneath his terrier cross, Jake.
“I saw a big, dark green shape which I realised was a big shark’’s head. It zoomed up under from Jake,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“Jake screamed a death scream and it sucked him under. Before I could react it had disappeared. I thought, ”Oh, that is a big shark” but I was his only chance.
“I thought, ”One hard strike from above”. I put my fists together and dove like a javelin and hard as I could. It was like hitting concrete,” he added.
LeNoir said that he hit the fish, believed to have been either a bull or lemon shark, in the back of the neck.
The shark then released the two-year-old rescue dog immediately, and Jake swam frantically to shore.
The incident had left the dog with bite wounds on his abdomen, chest and back as well as lacerations on his right side and left front leg.
LeNoir has revealed that his dog is now making good progress.
“The shark put almost all of Jake in his mouth, except for his head and three of his legs,” he said.
He also described Jake as “more dolphin than dog”, and a “fast and fearless swimmer” who often retrieved jellyfish and soaked coconuts.
“We have no children. Jake became our child. When I saw the shark engulf him, I thought, ”This can”t be the end”. I couldn”t abandon him,” he said.
LeNoirs wife Tessalee said that she was not surprised by her husband’’s bravery.
“People know him as Dr. Doolittle. He’’s the one who climbs up a tree to save a possum,” she said.
However, Jake had been having nightmares, and may never want to swim again, LeNoir said. (ANI)
- Dog bites shark in Australia - Jul 22, 2011
- British man loses legs to great white after ignoring warnings - Sep 29, 2011
- Sharks' remarkable skin boosts swimming - Feb 10, 2012
- Honeymooning bride loses hubby in shark attack - Aug 18, 2011
- Four tourists mauled by shark at Egyptian resort - Dec 02, 2010
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Poke sharks in eyes if attacked: Russian officials - Aug 19, 2011
- Attacked by dog, man jumps off 60 feet bridge - Aug 12, 2012
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Oz fisherman survives after battling with 4m crocodile for 15 minutes - Mar 10, 2011
- Matthew Garcia Hears Plea For Help But Fails To Save Friend's Life - Oct 25, 2010
- Oz woman, 60, survives shark attack by 'punching, punching, punching'! - Feb 15, 2010
- Santa Barbara Beaches Closed After Lucas Ransom's Death - Oct 25, 2010
- Bull sharks spotted swimming down flooded main streets in Oz - Jan 14, 2011
- Barefoot Oz fisherman steps on croc while fishing, gets bitten - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: abdomen, bite wounds, bravery, carpenter, coconuts, dolphin, dr doolittle, fists, five feet, florida keys, javelin, jaws, jellyfish, lacerations, lemon shark, nightmares, pooch, possum, scream, swimmer