Man kept wife prisoner at home for 50 yearsOctober 10th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 10 (ANI): A woman in Italy was kept a prisoner in her house by her husband for 50 years, it has been revealed.
According to police officials, the wife, now in her 70s, said she was allowed to leave home only when he accompanied her.
Her jealous husband even banned her from watching TV or seeing their two grown-up children, she said. He beat her and locked all doors and windows whenever he went out.
The womans ordeal began the day they wed in 1958.
She emerged when she was admitted to hospital with heart trouble in Trento, Italy.
The couple was not identified.
He locked her inside the house when he went out, and would not even let her watch the television.
“Once the hospital informed us of the woman’’s story we acted immediately and informed the local prosecutor, the Telegraph quoted a police spokesman, as saying.
“It appears that the woman was kept a virtual prisoner in her own home for 50 years. She was only allowed out when her husband was with her and if he went out on his own he would lock all the doors and windows.
“At 5pm when he came back he would lock the place down, She was not even allowed to see her children and they were not allowed to visit.
“The TV was also forbidden and there were also times when he would beat her.
“It’’s a very sad story and the woman’’s life has been made a misery by her husband if it wasn”t for the fact she was admitted to hospital and bravely decided to speak out her ordeal would have continued, the rep added.
Trento prosecutor Fabio Biasi requested an order for the man to be removed from his house and taken to secure accommodation while the investigation continued. (ANI)
- Man keeps wife prisoner at home for 50 years - Oct 10, 2008
- How French granny stuck in loo for 3 weeks kept her spirits up - Nov 26, 2010
- French granny rescued after getting stuck in loo for 3 weeks - Nov 24, 2010
- Elderly woman found dead in her Delhi flat - Jun 20, 2012
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Five people commit suicide in Delhi - Oct 07, 2011
- I was sold every few months, recounts Pakistani woman - Feb 02, 2011
- US man admits to raping, keeping woman in closet - Jan 29, 2011
- Inmate Has Son after Sneaking Sperm out to Wife - Aug 14, 2012
- Cat hailed a hero after saving house from fire by opening window - Dec 14, 2010
- Pilot arrested after wife hangs herself to death - Dec 02, 2011
- Woman arrested for torturing six-year-old son - Mar 11, 2012
- Texas executes man who beat baby boy to death - Mar 29, 2012
- Woman kills hubby, buries him - Mar 28, 2012
- Amanda Knox to sign 2.5 mn pounds book deal - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: 5pm, accommodation, doors and windows, heart trouble, jealous husband, london, misery, ordeal, police officials, police spokesman, prosecutor, sad story, telegraph, television, trento italy, virtual prisoner, watching tv