Mamta wants return of 400 acres in SingurAugust 22nd, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Aug 22 (ANI): Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee today said she would not budge from her stand of demanding the 400 acres of land taken for the TATA Nano project in Singur.
Reacting to Ratan Tatas statement that the TATA Group could be thinking about exiting from the Nano project in the interest of the safety of its employees, Banerjee said, “We don”t want anybody to move out of West Bengal, but at the same time, we will not bow to any kind of pressure.
On being asked if she was willing to talk to the Tatas, Banerjee said, “In principle, we would like Ratan Tata to concede to our demand for the return of 400 acres forcibly taken away from unwilling farmers.”
She blamed the State Government for the crisis in Singur and said it had not yet made public the finer aspects of the land deal with the Tatas, despite several demands.
On Thursday, Commerce and Industries Minister of West Bengal Nirupam Sen and Ratan Tata held talks over TATA Motor’’s small car plant at Singur.
Sen apprised TATA on the recent talks between the State Government and the Opposition Trinamool Congress party to resolve the Singur land impasse.
During the meeting, TATA expressed concern over the recent activities in Singur and the proposed indefinite agitation by the Trinamool Congress.
TATA Motors started to construct its factory in Singur in January 2007 to make the world’’s cheapest car.
The NANO was unveiled by Ratan Tata in January this year, and is likely to hit the roads by October.
The project has become a test case for the ruling Communist Party in West Bengal, as some farmers claim that the former took their land against their will.
There have been regular protests in West Bengal over the last year over the acquisition of agriculture land for setting up industrial zones. (ANI)
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- 400 acres to be returned to Singur farmers: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mrinal Sen expresses doubt over Singur land - Jun 14, 2011
- Pranab supports Mamata on Singur land bill - Jun 11, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Mamata rejects Bengal government offer on Singur land - Nov 18, 2010