Mammoth rally organized by the SC/ST organizationsDecember 15th, 2008 - 10:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec. 15 (ANI): Employees, officers and supporters of reservation across the country assembled under the banner of All India Confederation of SC/ST Organizations at the Ramlila Ground here for a mass rally up to Jantar Mantar.
National chairman of the confederation Udit Raj and the Secretary General, Indira Athawale and some other leaders addressed the rally.
Their main demands were reservation in private sector and in higher judiciary, filling up of backlog posts, enactment of Reservation Act. , Strict implementation of Prevention of SC/ST Atrocities Act, 1989, restoration of Special Component Plan, land to landless and time bound promotion to the sweepers .
Disappointed by the complacency and poor response from the government, participants marched with animals and instruments like bullock carts, used in traditional occupations.
Udit Raj, national Chairman, All India Confederation of SC/ST Organizations, said: The intention behind such a mass rally that included animals like buffaloes, pigs, donkeys, goats was to expose the mindset of those industrialist, bureaucrats and politicians who are not allowing reservation in private sectors. No longer government sector can secure parity and justice todalits (people belonging to the marginalized sections of Indian society) and their entry is banned in private sector so that they continue in old occupations.
Udit said that in the 6th five year plan (1980-85), the government of Indiamade a Special Component Plan for Scheduled Castes but the government has subordinated it to Scheduled Caste Sub Plan.(ANI)
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Anna's support for Dalits half hearted: Udit Raj - Nov 11, 2011
- Not against Anna, want representation in Lokpal: Dalit group - Aug 26, 2011
- Dalits to rally for Bahujan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Dalit groups submit their version of Lokpal bill - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Include Dalits, minorities in Lokpal panel' - Sep 20, 2011
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Dalits push their version of Lokpal bill - Oct 15, 2011
- Animals join men's march for reservation in private sector - Dec 16, 2008
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Indian Justice Party seeks Mayawati's support - Dec 04, 2008
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: buffaloes, bullock carts, bureaucrats, caste, castes, complacency, confederation, government participants, government sector, indira, industrialist, landless, mass rally, national chairman, old occupations, poor response, private sectors, sweepers, traditional occupations, udit