Mamata’s demand puts off cabinet expansion by a dayMay 26th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 26 (ANI): The expansion of the Union Cabinet is likely to be delayed by a day or more reportedly because of Trinamool Congress (TMC) chief Mamata Banerjee demanding a seventh ministerial berth.
Some reports said the cabinet expansion could take place on Thursday and would include the nominees of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and the Trinamool.
The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, and the chairperson of the UPA, Sonia Gandhi, continue to hold meetings at the Prime Minister’s residence and at Gandhi’s 10, Janpath residence to discuss portfolio allocation.
It is learnt that Banerjee wants a seventh person to be accommodated in the Cabinet with Minister of State (MoS) rank.
The DMK reportedly wanted nine ministerial berths — five Cabinet berths and four Ministers of State. However, the Congress is ready to give only seven — three Cabinet berths and four MoS berths.
The DMK has agreed to seven berths and indicated its readiness to join the government.
In the first installment, only 19 ministers were inducted along with the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, last Friday. Portfolios have been allocated to only six key ministers. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi battles to end family impasse over Cabinet berths - May 24, 2009
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- Congress-DMK talks fail - May 21, 2009
- DMK ministers to submit their resignations to PM - Mar 07, 2011
- Kanimozhi opts out of Cabinet race, DMK likely to join UPA by Monday - May 24, 2009
- Congress did not approach DMK on portfolios issue: Azhagiri - May 24, 2009
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK shows the door to T.R. Baalu - May 24, 2009
- I have invited Congress to join government: Mamata - May 16, 2011
- PM assures Mamata all help but can't attend swearing in (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Mukherjee roped in to end Congress-DMK Cabinet portfolio deadlock - May 21, 2009
- Sonia meets Manmohan Singh, discusses DMK stalemate - May 22, 2009
- PM's coalition politics comments won't affect ties with Congress: DMK - Feb 16, 2011
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: berth, cabinet expansion, chairperson, dmk, dr manmohan singh, dravida, first installment, last friday, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, ministerial berths, ministers of state, portfolio allocation, sonia gandhi, tmc, trinamool congress, union cabinet, UPA