Mamata to file suit against CPI(M), Bhattacharya for defaming TrinamoolNovember 9th, 2009 - 6:29 pm ICT by ANI
By Ajitha Menon
Kolkata, Nov.9 (ANI): The Trinamool Congress will file a defamation suit against the CPI(M) and West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharya for equating the party with the Maoists.
Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee today said in Kolkata that Bhattacharya should not attack another political party without responsibility or sense of discretion.
Addressing a public rally, Banerjee said the Trinamool will take recourse to law on the issue.
Earlier too, the Trinamool Congress had filed defamation suits against the CPI(M), she pointed out, adding that the Trinamool believed in Gandhism and socialism but that did not mean the party harboured hatred towards supporters of Lenin or Marx.
However, she stated, there was a clear difference between the policy of the Trinamool Congress and that of the Maoists. She said MP Kalyan Banerjee, the head of the Trinamul Congress’s legal cell, would take legal action against the CPI(M) on this.
Banerjee said violence was at its peak in West Bengal right now. Police personnel were being victimized and killed by CPI(M) cadres or the Maoists. Law and order had touched a low point.
She alleged that Bhattacharya’s provocative statements against the Maoists in West Midnapore had caused the killing of four EFR jawans in Jamboni yesterday.
She said her party was against atrocities of all kinds be it by the police, the para-military forces or even the Maoists. Banerjee said she was not in favour of the joint para-military operations in West Midnapore.
Ahead of the rally, Banerjee joined party supporters in a procession from College Square in North Kolkata to Esplanade in Central Kolkata, where the rally was held. (ANI)
- Mamata Banerjee to hold rally in Lalgarh today - Aug 09, 2010
- Will sue Buddhadeb for linking Trinamool with Maoists: Mamata - Nov 09, 2009
- Mamata hints at unleashing joint forces against Maoists - Nov 04, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Make public Kishenji's autopsy report: CPI-M - Nov 26, 2011
- Let Congress decide on alliance: Mamata - Nov 19, 2011
- Buddhadeb hits out at Trinamool over Infosys imbroglio - Aug 05, 2012
- CPI-M using police to manipulate voters: Mamata - May 05, 2011
- CPI-M lampoons Trinamool over Trivedi - Mar 19, 2012
- Violence, killings down in Maoist areas, says Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- CPI-M killing people in name of Maoists: Mamata - Oct 23, 2010
- CPI-M leaders' houses torched in Bengal's West Midnapore - Jun 16, 2011
- 75,000 opposition workers killed during Left rule: Mamata - May 02, 2011
- Trinamool holds rally with supporter's corpse - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: buddhadeb bhattacharya, chief minister, congress leader, CPI, defamation suit, defamation suits, esplanade, gandhism, kalyan, maoists, menon, midnapore, military forces, military operations, party supporters, provocative statements, public rally, trinamool congress, trinamul congress, west bengal