Mamata demands CBI probe into Rizwanur death caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
Banerjee demanded removal of senior police officials who have been accused of pressurising the youth to part with his Hindu wife.
The Kolkata Police, which conducted the investigation into Rizwanur’s death, have stated that the computer graphics teacher had committed suicide.
“If the police officers are not removed during the probe, the inquiry will not be objective,” Mamata told reporters.
She termed the death of Rizwanur as “state sponsored terrorism”.
On Saturday, after meeting mother of Rizwanur, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had said that the autopsy would be conducted again.
On Friday, West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) chairman Justice Shyamal Sen had summoned five police officers: Gyanwant Singh, Ajoy Kumar, Sukanti Chakraborty, Krishnendu Das and the Karaya police station Officer-in-Charge in connection with the case.
On October 5, the State Government had removed an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) and a Sub Inspector (SI) from their posts in connection with the case.
Veteran Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Jyoti Basu had criticised Kolkata Police Commissioner Prasun Mukherjee’s role in the case.
Mukherjee had told a press conference earlier that it was “natural” for Rizwan’s wife’s family to oppose the marriage because of the differences in the social and economic status of the Todis and the Rehmans.
Basu had termed the Police Commissioner’s statement as “bad and undesirable.”
According to reports, some police officers have been accused of pressurising Rehman to end his marriage with industrialist Ashok Todi’s daughter Priyanka Todi.
CID is probing the death of Rizwan, who was being allegedly threatened by his in-laws and police after he married Priyanka in August. (ANI)
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Now a 'fatwa' against MNIK - Feb 12, 2010
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Court orders CBI to probe Rizwanur death afresh (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Calcutta HC orders CBI probe into Rizwanur death case - Nov 14, 2007
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur's mother now hopeful of getting justice - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Put Ashok Todi to trial in Rizwanur case: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- KKR stops cozying up to Ashok Todi's company - Feb 23, 2010