Mamata Banerjee wants early Assembly polls in West BengalMay 17th, 2009 - 12:04 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, May 17 (ANI): Having registered a thumping victory in the Lok Sabha polls in West Bengal, the Trinamool Congress chief Mamta Banerjee on Saturday demanded an early Assembly elections in the State.
Mamta says the latest election results show that people of the State do not have any confidence in Communist Party of India (Marxist) led front here.
Expressing gratitude to people for their support, Mamta said that she salutes them for the way they fought against CPI-M terror and exercised their franchise. She dedicated her party’s victory to the people.
Meanwhile, West Bengal Congress chief Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said the alliance between the Trinamool Congress and Congress paid dividends with the people positively responding to it.
But Pranab refused to view the LS election results as an expression of people’s “no confidence” on the ruling Left Front government.
“This is not an Assembly election, but Lok Sabha poll. I am not saying the results showed people’s no-confidence on the LF government.”
Talking about the TMC and Congress alliance in the LS elections, Pranab said that people of the state wanted the alliance for the Lok Sabha polls and they responded positively to “our fight in the election together.”
On the verge of his convincing win in Jangipur constituency for the second time in a row, Mukherjee said, “We formed this alliance to honour people’s expectations. People have positively responded to it.” (ANI)
- Win shows we can go it alone, says Trinamool; Congress slams (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma predicts hung assembly for Assam - Apr 18, 2011
- West Bengal's red fort falls (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Congress dissidents' candidates will lose: Pranab - Apr 11, 2011
- We can fight and win on our own, Trinamool tells Congress - Jun 05, 2012
- We have rectified our mistakes: Biman Bose (Interview) - Mar 28, 2011
- Congress rebels worry Trinamool in Murshidabad - Apr 22, 2011
- No tension with Trinamool: Pranab - Dec 26, 2010
- I would like to inherit his political legacy: Pranab's son - Jul 25, 2012
- It's a mandate for Mamata: Pranab - May 15, 2011
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Trinamool shines in civic polls, loses near Nandigram (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: assembly election, assembly elections, assembly polls, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress alliance, constituency, CPI, dividends, election results, expressing gratitude, kolkata, lok sabha poll, lok sabha polls, mamta banerjee, pranab mukherjee, tmc, trinamool congress chief, verge, west bengal