Mamata Banerjee to hold rally in Lalgarh todayAugust 9th, 2010 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Aug 9 (ANI): Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee will hold a public rally in Lalgarh against the Left Government misrule in West Bengal today.
The rally will be organised under non-political forum ‘Santras Virodhi Manch’ and will be attended by socialites Swami Agnivesh and Medha Patkar.
Banerjee has called the rally following the anger from the intellectual class over the tribal issues.
Alleging that democracy has been stifled in various places of West Midnapore district by the CPI(M), Banerjee had said, “We will not hold the rally under the Trinamool banner but Santras Birodhi Mancha to build up a larger democratic movement.
“For the wake of democracy we must rise above political interests,” she added.
The Maoist-backed PCAPA has also decided to participate in the rally.
The Congress party has decided to keep away from the controversial issue and will not share the dais along with Banerjee during the rally.
State Congress Party chief Keshav Rao said that no party leader would attend the rally.
Meanwhile, Director General of Police (Law and Order), Surjeet Kayastha has said that thick security cover imposed in the area and para-military forces are being deployed to help the state police. (ANI)
- Mamata blames CPM leaders for violence in Lalgarh - Aug 09, 2010
- Agnivesh, Patkar to attend Mamata's Lalgarh rally - Aug 03, 2010
- PCAPA to participate in Aug 9 Lalgarh rally - Aug 05, 2010
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Mamata's rally in Lalgarh - Aug 09, 2010
- High security in Lalgarh for Mamata's rally Monday - Aug 08, 2010
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Mamata's Lalgarh rally (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Withdraw 'ridiculous' conditions for Lalgarh rally: Trinamool - Aug 04, 2010
- Congress welcomes Lalgarh rally under apolitical banner - Aug 03, 2010
- Lalgarh meeting under apolitical banner: Mamata - Aug 01, 2010
- Mamata condemns manner in which Azad was killed - Aug 09, 2010
- Mamata urges Maoists to give up violence, sit for talks (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Agnivesh for probe into pro-Maoist tribal leaders' killing (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Will resist arrest attempts at Lalgarh rally: PCAPA - Aug 06, 2010
- Agnivesh proposes 72-hour ceasefire with Maoists - Aug 18, 2010
- Swami Agnivesh seeks probe into killing of pro-Maoists - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: congress party, controversial issue, dais, democratic movement, intellectual class, kayastha, keshav, mamata banerjee, medha patkar, midnapore district, party chief, police law, political interests, public rally, railway minister, state congress, swami agnivesh, tribal issues, trinamool congress chief, west bengal