Mamata Banerjee meets Sonia Gandhi to discuss petrol price hikeJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 22(ANI): Union Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee on Saturday met United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi at 10 Janpath in the national capital.
According to Trinamool Congress sources, the two leaders had a discussion on the recent petrol price hike.
The meeting lasted for around 10 minutes.
Banerjee has already written a letter to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh asking the UPA government to review its pricing policy of petrol.
The decision to de-regulate petrol prices was cleared last June by a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukehrjee.
Banerjee is a member of this GoM, but she did not attend its meeting on the day the de-regulation was cleared.
The country is beset by rising food and fuel prices, and the Central government is facing criticism for failing to introduce structural reforms to control inflation, which has hit the general public adversely.
Earlier, on January 15, state-owned oil companies had hiked petrol prices by Rs. 2.50 - Rs. 2.54 per litre, the second hike in a month, due to rising global crude oil prices. (ANI)
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Forced to hike petrol prices, say government, oil firms - Nov 04, 2011
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Trinamool's opposition to petrol hike meaningless: Biman Bose - Nov 09, 2011
- Congress welcomes petrol price cut, BJP wants rollback - Jun 02, 2012
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
- Friends, foes alike attack petrol hike, PM defends decontrol - Nov 05, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Petrol price hike: NCP defends Central Government's decision - Jan 16, 2011
- No government role in petrol price hike: Pranab - Nov 05, 2011
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta criticizes Central Government over price hike - Jan 22, 2011
- Mamata not happy with partial rollback of petrol prices (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Central Government under attack over petrol price hike - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: central government, chairperson, congress leader, crude oil prices, dr manmohan singh, finance minister, food and fuel, fuel prices, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, oil companies, petrol prices, price hike, progressive alliance, railway minister, rs 2, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress