Malerkotla keeps the charm of qawwali aliveNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:29 am ICT by admin
A princely state during the British rule, Malerkotla was founded in 1600 by Sufi saint Baba Haidar Shaikh. Today, families in Malerkotla continue to serve the musical genre.Eight-year-old Mohammad Subhan is one of the many custodians of “qawwali” tradition in Malerkotla.
“I will grow up as a qawwali singer as my ancestors have been brought up in the tradition of Sufi singing,” says Subhan,
Javed Irshad Rehmat hails from “Amanat Khani gharana” (Amanat Khani school of music) from Malerkotla.
Javed, the grandson of the legendry Haji Rehmat qawwal, recites the verses of Sufi saints Baba Bulle Shah, Sultan Bahu and Shah Hussain.
His singing might not be appreciated by the younger generation, but he is determined to keep the tradition alive, even though he might have to bring some changes in his qawallis to suit the modern trend.
“Qawwali consists of Sufi renditions, which is not enjoyed by today’s age group. I doubt that qawwali will ever take that shape again. Young artists are taking up qawwali singing with new musical instruments. Nowadays, the trend of modern qawwali has picked up and is getting popular. We are bringing some changes, which the new generation will definitely appreciate,” says Javed.
Qawwals of Malerkotala serve the needs of Sufi “Dargahs” (shrines) by creating the atmosphere for a s
- 'Rockstar' team rocks at Nizamuddin dargah - Sep 20, 2011
- Qawwals from Karachi who carry on Delhi legacy (With Image) - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Jannat 2' a quintessential album for Emraan (IANS Music Review) - Apr 03, 2012
- Richa Sharma builds temple as tribute to parents - Mar 26, 2011
- Social Islam biased against freedom of arts: Filmmaker Shama Zaidi - Apr 29, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi sends her offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 14, 2010
- Manmohan Singh sends his offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 15, 2010
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Music transcends our borders: Pakistani singers (Interview) - Oct 30, 2008
- Bollywood takes liberty with Sufi music: Hans Raj Hans - Oct 12, 2009
- 'Sufis of Punjab' - Building bridges across borders (IANS Book Review) - Aug 30, 2011
- Light, enjoyable tracks in 'Love Breakups Zindagi' (IANS Music Review) - Sep 18, 2011
- UAE's First Indian Music Choir To Revive The Legendary Sufi Saints - Jun 22, 2010
- 'Patiala House' packs in entertaining tracks (IANS Music Review) - Jan 17, 2011
- Bihar devotees observe Urs of Baba Mir Ali - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: baba, bulle shah, devotional music, irshad, javed, malerkotla, modern qawwali, new musical instruments, punjab, qawwali singer, shah hussain, shah sultan, subhan, sufi saint, sufis, sultan bahu, tradition