Malegaon blast case chargesheet filedJanuary 20th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan 20 (ANI): Maharashtra Police, on Tuesday, filed a chargesheet in connection with the Malegaon blast case before a Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) court as the joint custody of the eleven accused came to an end.
The court had to hear the bail application of the five main alleged perpetrators in the September 29 Malegaon blasts, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, Lt Col S P Purohit, who was working with Military Intelligence, Ajay Rahirkar, Shivnarayan Kalsangra and Sham Sahu.
The MCOCA court had earlier remanded all eleven accused till January 20 to judicial custody.
On September 19, a motorcycle carrying bombs blasted in Malegaon killing seven and injuring more than 70 people. Probe by anti terrorist squad (ATS) revealed that right-wing Hindu extremist group and Military Intelligence officers were involved in the case.
The motorcycle used in the blast revealed its owner, Pragya Singh Thakur, a Sadhvi belonging to Surat, who was arrested on October 23.
The other accused who were arrested included Shyamlal Sahu and Shivnarayan Kalsangra on charges of making the bombs.
The involvement of Hindu extremists shocked the nation and many political groups accused the Government of playing vote bank politics to win over the minority community.
Member of a right wing extremist group Abhinav Bharat, Ajay Rahirkar, along with two other were arrested on allegedly providing mobile phones and weapons used in the blasts.
But the arrest of serving Military Intelligence officer Lt. Colonel Purohit, on November 5, for supplying RDX and money and training the Abhinav Bharat group cadres, came as a real shock in the case.
Interrogating Sadhvi and Purohit hinted on kanpur based Dayanand Pandey alias Swami Amritanands involvement in the case.
The probe is still on.
The Anti-terrorism squad of the Maharashtra Police has not been successful in arresting three other accused in the case.
Joint Commissoner Hemant Karkare, who died in the recent Mumbai terror attacks, was probing the case. (ANI)
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- Malegaon blast case chargesheet to be filed today - Jan 20, 2009
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast case: Bombay HC brings backs MCOCA charge against Sadhvi Pragya - Jul 19, 2010
- India wont hand over Malegaon suspect to Pak, says its an internal matter - Jan 20, 2009
- Another key accused in Malegaon blast held - Feb 01, 2011
- Another key accused in 2008 Malegaon blast held (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- CBI receives Malegaon re-investigation nod - Jan 14, 2011
- Pragya Thakur arrested in Madhya Pradesh murder case - Feb 26, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: community member, crime act, extremist group, hindu extremists, intelligence officers, joint custody, judicial custody, lt colonel, maharashtra police, malegaon blast, malegaon blasts, military intelligence officer, minority community, organized crime, political groups, purohit, rdx, right wing extremist, thakur, vote bank