Malaysian opposition leader Anwar released on RM20, 000 personal bondAugust 7th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Aug.7 (ANI): Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim , who was charged on Thursday with committing carnal intercourse with a male aide, has been released on a personal bond of RM 20, 0000 with no surety. Sessions Court Judge S M Komathy Suppiah granted the bail.
The bail was set even after Anwar pleaded his innocence to the charge in the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court and called it “a malicious accusation.””
The charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.
Government prosecutors said Anwar sodomised his 23-year-old former aide on June 26 in a condominium in Kuala Lumpur.
Anwar claims the allegation is a government concoction aimed at destroying his political career and to prevent him from returning to Parliament through a by-election later this month.
Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has rejected Anwar’’s claim.
According to the New Strait Times, the four-man prosecution team, led by Solicitor General Datuk Idrus Harun, had proposed bail at RM20, 000 with one surety and asked for his passport to be surrendered.
Counsel for Anwar, Sulaiman Abdullah - who leads the nine-member defence team - however asked for a personal bond.
The alleged offence is said to have been committed against Mohammad Saiful Bukhari Azlan at Unit No 11-5-1 Desa Damansara Condominium at Bukit Damansara on June 26 between 3.01 p.m. and 4.30 p.m.
The charge under Section 377B of the Penal Code carries a jail term of between 6 years and 20 years. If convicted, he is also liable to whipping. (ANI)
- Sodomy II: Former Malaya Deputy PM Anwar fails to disqualify judge - Dec 06, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar tries to get judge disqualified - Feb 08, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar faces sodomy trial, again - Feb 03, 2010
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian court gives Ibrahim bail in sodomy case - Aug 07, 2008
- Media barred from Anwar Ibrahim's second sodomy trial - Feb 04, 2010
- Malay opposition leader Anwar fails to have sodomy charge dropped - Aug 16, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader reveals alibi at sodomy trial - May 31, 2010
- Brothers jailed for burning church in Malaysia - Aug 13, 2010
- Anwar sodomy case: High Court allows three items as DNA evidence - Mar 23, 2011
- High-ranking cop, officers nabbed in raids in Malaysia - Jul 13, 2010
- Malaysian cops hunt for Pakistani facing rape charge - Aug 28, 2009
- Fresh twist in Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial - Aug 02, 2010
- Posters of Malaysian sex video out in Kuala Lumpur - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: abdullah ahmad badawi, anwar ibrahim, azlan, bukhari, carnal intercourse, condominium in kuala lumpur, defence team, government prosecutors, harun, jail term, maximum penalty, new strait times, opposition leader, personal bond, prime minister abdullah ahmad badawi, prosecution team, saiful, sessions court, solicitor general, sulaiman