Malaysia court sets Sept 15 as next date for Hindraf members illegal assembly caseApril 16th, 2008 - 2:08 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, Apr 16 (ANI): Even after one year, Malaysias Attorney-General Chambers are yet to decide on the representation made by the 66 men charged with participating in an illegal assembly organised by the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf).
All 66 were charged with taking part in an illegal assembly and causing mischief. They are being tried on two counts, namely participating in an illegal assembly in front of the Sri Subramaniam temple in Jalan Besar, Batu Caves, between 1 and 8 a.m. on Nov 25, and with causing mischief by damaging seven vehicles.
All are on bail in one surety, and have to report to the nearest police station once a month.
The representation was made last year by their counsel urging the chambers to reconsider the case, reported the newstraitstimesonline.com
Yesterday, the Chambers deputy public prosecutor Nik Suhaimi Nik Sulaiman told the court that they were still considering the representation and asked for more time to verify certain details. He asked the court to fix trial dates instead.
Suaiman told Sessions Court judge Azimah Omar that the prosecution would be calling between 80 and 100 witnesses to the stand. Azimah fixed two weeks for trial beginning Sept 15. (ANI)
Tags: attorney general chambers, azimah, batu caves, court judge, deputy public prosecutor, hindu, illegal assembly, kuala lumpur, mischief, nik, police station, prosecution, sessions court, subramaniam, suhaimi, sulaiman, surety, trial dates