Major fire engulfs slum area in KolkataMarch 5th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Mar. 5 (ANI): A major fire engulfed a slum area near Science City in Kolkata and threw traffic flow out of gear on Friday.
However, no casualty has been reported so far.
Twenty fire fighters were rushed to the spot.
The area, inhabited by leather workers was full of plastics and leather products.
The situation worsened in the area due to the presence of highly inflammable and combustible substances.
“I called 20-fire engines due to the scarcity of water. The area is covered with shanty, made of highly flammable plastic materials as well as some plastic materials also stored. Fire broke out and we are trying our level best to combat the situation,” said Gopal Bhattacharya, director, state fire service.
Traffic was thrown out of gear as the area is alongside the Eastern Metropolitan bypass, a very busy road of the city.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known. (ANI)
- Over 100 shanties gutted in Kolkata fire (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- Four children killed in Bengal slum fire - Dec 30, 2010
- Large fire breaks out in Kolkata slum - Mar 05, 2010
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata warehouse - Feb 14, 2010
- Massive fire in Kanpur leather factory - Mar 09, 2011
- Fire at slum cluster in Delhi - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire guts Meerut factory, sports goods destroyed - Feb 12, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Tension brews over smoke at city hospital - Mar 21, 2012
- Third biggest fire in two years in Kolkata - Mar 23, 2010
- One dead, 400 slum dwellings gutted in Delhi fires (Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- Fire engulfs saddle-making factory in Kanpur - May 03, 2011
- One killed, 500 shanties destroyed in Kolkata fire (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- 100 shanties gutted in Delhi fire (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Inflammatory objects in AMRI basement made fire deadly: Minister - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: casualty, fire engines, fire fighters, kolkata, leather products, leather workers, plastic materials, plastics, presence, scarcity of water, science city, service traffic, shanty, slum area, state fire service, traffic flow