Main R-Day parade passes off peacefully in SrinagarJanuary 26th, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 26 (IANS) It was a peaceful Republic Day in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday with the main parade in summer capital Srinagar passing off uneventfully. There were no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley where separatists had called a shutdown.
Finance Minister Abdur Rahim Rather unfurled the tricolor and took salute at the Bakshi Stadium where smartly turned out contingents of police, paramilitary, Home Guards and school children march passed the podium.
Rather said the situation had remarkably improved in the Kashmir Valley and time had come to focus on moral education of the youth.
“Democracy should be respected by everybody and all people associated with the democratic dispensation must exercise their powers and functions to bring relief into the lives of the ordinary people.
“While we talk of rights, we must also realise and respect our duties,” he said.
Senior civil, paramilitary officials and many prominent citizens attended the function that passed off peacefully.
Elaborate security arrangements made here to thwart separatist attempts to disrupt the official functions included switching off all mobile phone services.
This was done to ensure that no electronically controlled remote control devices were operated by the guerrillas.
Senior ministers of the government have presided over similar functions at all other district headquarters of the Valley.
A complete shutdown was called by separatist leaders Thursday.
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Omar asks separatists to abjure violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Rights abusers will be punished: Omar Abdullah - Aug 15, 2011
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Peaceful R-Day in Kashmir, separatists invited for talks (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Time for AFSPA removal hasn't come: Omar - Aug 15, 2012
- Police officer flings shoe at Omar at I-Day function (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Security beefed up in Srinagar - Aug 13, 2012
- Life relaxed in Kashmir Valley ahead of R-Day (With Images) - Jan 24, 2012
- Kashmir on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Shoe hurled at Omar, attacker is suspended cop (Third Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Kashmir security reviewed ahead of BJP's flag hoisting plan - Jan 16, 2011
- Heavy security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day - Aug 13, 2011
- Shutdown call evokes partial response in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: attempts, citizens, democracy, dispensation, district headquarters, finance minister, guerrillas, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, mobile phone services, moral education, ordinary people, podium, remote control, republic day, salute, security arrangements, separatist leaders, untoward incident