Maharashtra’s Sangli village lit up with fireworks on Dussehra nightNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:41 am ICT by admin
“Fireworks go on throughout the night. People come here and enjoy the spectacle. This is the pride of our village,” said Ramchandra Thorat, a member of the local governing body.
People dance and indulge in revelry all through the night and there is brilliance and sparkle everywhere.
People from all communities participate in the celebrations.
The onus of conducting the show is with 400 mandals (small organizing committees) in Sangli.
Villagers manufacture crackers with no outside — technical or financial — support.
According to P B Chavan, a member of the firework organising committee, the total expenditure on fireworks on this night is pegged at a staggering Rs 1 crore (251,635 dollars).
The locals take several precautions during the fireworks display. They take pride in the fact that no untoward incident has ever happened on a Dussehra night. (ANI)
- Sangli has festival of lights on Dussehra - Nov 14, 2007
- CWG closing ceremony reveals India at its dynamic best - Oct 14, 2010
- 19th Commonwealth Games begin, marking the India moment (Roundup) - Oct 04, 2010
- Firecrackers go green this Diwali - Oct 23, 2011
- It's Sharad Purnima but Taj closed to visitors - Oct 22, 2010
- PM, Sonia attend Dussehra function - Oct 17, 2010
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- New Year celebrations begin in Australia, New Zealand - Dec 31, 2010
- For TV stars, Diwali means family time! - Oct 22, 2011
- China-made fireworks to light up London Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- A town that never burns Ravana effigy - Oct 06, 2011
- Fewer fireworks at Golden Temple this Diwali - Oct 26, 2011
- This Diwali, be wary of that anar and chakri - Oct 24, 2011
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Europe, US, other nations celebrate New Year with gusto, fireworks - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: 300, brilliance, crackers, crore, financial support, firework display, fireworks display, lit up, local governing body, maharashtra, mandals, onus, organising committee, revelry, rs 1, sangli, sparkle, take pride, thorat, untoward incident