Maharashtra to procure helicopters for Mumbai, Naxal-infested areasJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:15 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, July 22 (ANI): Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Thursday said the State Government is in the process of procuring two helicopters to carry out monitoring and reach sites of emergencies quickly in the city and Naxal-infested areas.
“Besides advanced weaponry, we also felt the need for helicopters. The proposal would be placed before the Cabinet for approval and the helicopters would be procured soon,” said Patil.
“The proposal is for two helicopters. One is for the city which faced worst terror attacks and the other is for Naxal- hit areas such as Gadchiroli and Chandrapur that witnessed attacks by Maoists,” he added.
Patil further said the helicopters would help the policeman to monitor the situation and take apposite action as per the requirement.
The Maharashtra Government is in the process of modernizing its police force following the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
In 2009, 207 new vehicles, including three armoured vehicles, were inducted into the police force.
The police personnel were also provided AK 47s, MP9 guns, speed and amphibious boats. (ANI)
- Cop killed in gunfight with Maoists in Maharashtra - May 19, 2011
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Four cops, three Maoists killed in Maharashtra gun battles (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Maharashtra demands central aid to modernize police force - Feb 01, 2011
- Government will continue its war against Naxals, says Maharashtra Home Minister - Oct 09, 2009
- Maoists kill 12 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Four cops, dozen Maoists killed in Maharashtra gun battles (Second Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Tight security ensures quiet I-Day in Mumbai - Aug 15, 2011
- Five killed in Maoist attack - May 05, 2011
- IAF seeks permission from Defence Ministry to fire at Naxals - Oct 01, 2009
- Chidambaram visits Gadchiroli, reviews anti-naxal operations - Dec 28, 2010
- Maharashtra ignoring Maoist menace: BJP - Jul 05, 2011
- Bangalore blast accused killed in jail - Jun 08, 2012
- No intelligence alert on Maoist attack: R.R. Patil - Mar 28, 2012
- Maoists fire at polling station in Maharashtra district - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: ak 47s, amphibious boats, armoured vehicles, chandrapur, emergencies, guns, helicopters, home minister, maharashtra government, maoists, mp9, new vehicles, police force, policeman, proposal, state government, terror attacks, weaponry