Mahabodhi Temple gets an illuminated lookOctober 16th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by ANI
By Surya Pratap Singh
Mahabodhi (Gaya), Oct.16 (ANI): Visiting the famous Mahabodhi temple of Bodh Gaya by evening has been made extra special with illumination effect.
Temple management has spent about 30 million rupees to illuminate the temple, as part of its beautification initiative.
“The implementation was a part of the temple’’s beautification. Besides, Bodhgaya is an important place of pilgrimage for the Buddhists and people of other religion as well. From the spiritual point of view, this is a part of offering to the Buddha through illumination,” said Nandji Dorjee, secretary, Bodhgaya Temple Management Committee.
At dusk, the temple along with its other Stupas gets illuminated magnificently while attracting the visiting tourists. The temple witnesses more foreign tourists during the day.
“Even if the electricity failure are frequent in Bodhgaya, the temple premises is brightly illuminated,” said Daniel, one tourist.
Acknowledged as a world heritage monument in 2002, the Bodh Gaya Temple has since than drawn an increased number of foreign tourists than ever.
Lord Buddha is known to have attained Nirvana (salvation) under the Bodhi tree where the temple stands now. (ANI)
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Winter attracts tourists and pilgrims to Bodh Gaya - Nov 09, 2008
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Bhutanese Prime Minister to participate in Mahabodhi Society meeting - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: 30 million, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, bodhi tree, buddha, buddhists, dusk, electricity failure, illumination, important place, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, management committee, pilgrimage, pratap singh, rupees, stupas, surya, temple premises, world heritage monument