Madras HC upholds death sentence of three convicts in Dharmapuri caseDecember 6th, 2007 - 4:07 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, Dec 6 (ANI): The Madras High Court on Thursday upheld the sentences of the 28 All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) workers, including the three awarded death penalty, in connection with the Dharmapuri bus burning case.
A Sessions Court in Salem convicted them in February. Three men were sentenced to death and 25 others were given seven years imprisonment in the case.
Three girl students of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) were roasted alive on February 2, 2000, when their college bus was set ablaze by unidentified persons near Elakiyampatti in Dharmapuri following the conviction of AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa in the Kodaikanal Pleasant Stay Hotel case.
Eighteen other students were injured in the attack.
There were 31 accused in the case, out of which, one had died during the trial. And two were acquitted.
The verdict in the case came after a seven-year-long trial.
The case assumed significance when the Madras High Court suspended its trial at the Krishnagiri court and transferred it to the sessions court on September 19, 2003. (ANI)
- SC stays death sentence of three convicts in Dharmapuri case - Jan 18, 2008
- Dharmapuri bus burning: Apex court stays execution of three - Jan 28, 2011
- Apex court stays execution of three in Dharmapuri bus burning (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Bus burning case: Three death convicts to submit mercy plea - Sep 22, 2010
- Bus burning: Three AIADMK arsonists sent to the gallows (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Supreme Court upholds death for three in bus burning case - Aug 30, 2010
- Acquittal for all accused in Dinakaran office burning case - Dec 10, 2009
- 2G scam: AIADMK leaders protest to demand Raja's arrest - Dec 27, 2010
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bus burning: Apex court gives death to three (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 30, 2010
- All 269 guilty in Vachathi mass rape, assault case - Sep 29, 2011
- Madurai court issues non-bailable warrant against AIADMK leader Panneerselvam - Jan 08, 2011
- Karunanidhi urges partymen to expose AIADMK's misdeeds - Dec 21, 2010
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- Death threats to Jayalalithaa to be probed by CBI - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: acquitted, aiadmk, convicts, death sentence, girl students, hotel case, kodaikanal, krishnagiri, madras hc, madras high court, sentenced to death, sessions court, set ablaze, tamil nadu agricultural university, tnau, unidentified persons