Madras HC lawyers boycott talks with government in ChennaiFebruary 24th, 2009 - 4:03 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb 24 (ANI): Striking lawyers today boycotted their first round meeting with the Tamil Nadu Government. State Law Minister Duraimurugan had called for two meetings with DGP KP Jain and Madras Police Commissioner K Raadhakrishnan also in attendance.
On Monday, around 300 lawyers went on a day-long fast in front of the Madras High Court, a day after their associations decided to indefinitely boycott courts to press for their demands.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had also advanced the hearing of Madras High Court lawyers strike from February 25 to 27.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan decided to hear the matter on Wednesday after the Court was informed that subsequent developments, including a clash between the lawyers and policemen, have taken place.
Over 150 lawyers were arrested on Friday for participating in a protest march outside the Tamil Nadu secretariat. They were agitating against the violence in the Madras High Court complex on Thursday.
Over 100 lawyers were injured outside the Madras High Court after police baton charged them for attacking Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy.
The agitation has led the Supreme Court to issue separate notice to the Registrar General, Madras High Court, the Bar Council of India, the Bar council of Tamil Nadu, the Madras High Court Advocates Association and the Madras Bar Association to explain their decision to boycott high court proceedings. (ANI)
- Supreme Court advances hearing on Madras HC lawyers'' strike - Feb 23, 2009
- 150 Chennai lawyers arrested for protesting against Madras HC violence - Feb 20, 2009
- Shoot at sight orders issued in Tamil Nadu - Feb 21, 2009
- Lawyers strike hits court work on day two - Jul 12, 2012
- Apex court takes over Rajiv assassins' mercy pleas (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Chennai lawyers demand immediate action against policemen - Feb 24, 2009
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
- Tamil Nadu lawyers protest demanding hike in welfare fund - Dec 30, 2009
- Tamil Nadu panel to look into uniform education system - Jun 17, 2011
- Suspended police officers asked to approach Madras High Court - Jul 14, 2009
- Lawyers seek help for Madras High Court judge - Nov 02, 2011
- Chennai lawyers demand action against policemen - Feb 24, 2009
- Chief justice, senior lawyer depose before Srikrishna Commission - Mar 01, 2009
- Madras HC lawyers on indefinite strike to demand Tamil be made official court language - Jun 17, 2010
- Karnataka lawyers boycott courts to protest against Dinakaran (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: agitation, bar council of india, boycott, chennai, chief justice, court lawyers, court proceedings, government state, jain, k g balakrishnan, kp, law minister, madras high court, party president, police baton, police commissioner, policemen, protest march, subramanian swamy, tamil nadu government