Madonna triggers fresh religious controversy by dedicating song to PopeSeptember 8th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 8 (ANI): Queen of pop Madonna dedicated her hit song Like A Virgin to the Pope when she played in Rome’’s Olympic Stadium on September 6, raising a fresh controversy.
The singer, who was criticized by the Catholic Church for staging a mock crucifixion at a concert in the city’’s Olympic Stadium two years ago, once again faced barbs from her critics in Italian newspapers.
“At the Roman leg of her tour, Madonna didn”t miss the opportunity for a provocation that will certainly be discussed,” the BBC quoted Corriere della Sera said on its front page.
As regards her dedication, Madonna had told her 60,000 fans in the Italian capital: “I dedicate this song to the Pope, because I”m a child of God. All of you are also children of God.”
Madonna has given rise to a religious controversy earlier also.
In her 1989 video for the song Like A Prayer, burning crosses, statues crying blood and the singer herself seducing a black Jesus, could be seen.
Madge had kicked off her Sticky & Sweet tour last month in Cardiff, and will play Wembley Stadium in London on 11 September.
She crosses the Atlantic in October, playing four dates at New York’’s Madison Square Garden before ending the tour in Sao Paolo, Brazil, on 18 December. (ANI)
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- 'Dolce Vita' diva Ekberg appeals for help - Dec 23, 2011
- Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in Tripoli - Aug 25, 2011
- Spielberg fined in Italy - Jul 26, 2011
- Former Gaddafi aide lands in Italy with family - Aug 22, 2011
- Berlusconi's eldest daughter not interested in politics - May 06, 2011
- Italy probes why ship docked in India - Feb 22, 2012
- Hindus commend French diva Fanny Ardant for highlighting Roma maltreatment - Oct 08, 2010
- Hitler was a great man, says Holocaust denier David Irving - Sep 28, 2010
- Abducted Italian journalists freed in Libya (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Didn't arm protesters, Berlusconi tells Gaddafi - Feb 24, 2011
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, row persists (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Turkish imam says Santa Claus 'dishonest' - Dec 29, 2011
- 95-year-old Italian film director leaps to his death - Dec 01, 2010