Madhumita case: Amarmani Tripathi and wife get life imprisonment(Lead: Madumita)November 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
Another accused, Prakash Pandey was acquitted by the court.
Twenty-six-year-old Madhumita was shot dead at her River Bank Colony residence in Lucknow by two assailants on May 8, 2003.
The case was transferred to the Court of District and Sessions Judge V B Roy from Lucknow on the orders of the Supreme Court earlier this year.
In March, the trial was began in Dehradun after apprehensions were expressed by Madhumita’s family that Tripathi may prevent a free and fair trial in Uttar Pradesh, as in the past also, he had tried to influence the course of investigations. He was also getting VIP treatment in jail.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) investigated the case. So far seventy nine witnesses have appeared in the case.
Madhumita’s sister Nidhi and her servant Desraj were key witnesses.
The case assumed a political dimension after Nidhi alleged that Madhumita was in a relationship with Tripathi.
Nidhi alleged that Madhumani was behind the murder because she was opposed to her husband’s relationship with Madhumita. Tripathi, however, strongly denied his wife’s role in the murder.
Charges were framed against five accused, including Tripathi.
The CBI has claimed that Tripathi and Madhumani allegedly conspired to eliminate Madhumita as she was carrying Tripathi’s child. (ANI)
- Uttar Pradesh probing jailed legislator's video - Dec 06, 2011
- Madhumita Shukla murder case verdict today - Nov 14, 2007
- Apex court denies bail to Amarmani Tripathi - Apr 20, 2009
- Ex-minister sent back to jail after 'illness' - Sep 05, 2011
- Polling gets off to brisk start in UP's second phase (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- CBI charge sheet against Uttar Pradesh ex-minister - May 31, 2012
- Over 60 percent turnout in UP second phase poll (Third Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Large turnout in UP second phase polls (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Student killing: Three cops sent to judicial custody - May 09, 2011
- Two get life term for murder of Meerut university professor - Sep 23, 2011
- Defer forensic expert's cross-examination: Nupur Talwar - Aug 21, 2012
- Sex, lies and videotape in Indian politics - Dec 26, 2009
- Rajesh Talwar advanced Haridwar visit: Witness - Sep 05, 2012
- Student killing: Four cops sent to judicial custody - Apr 28, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
Tags: accused, cbi, central bureau of investigation, dehradun, life imprisonment, lucknow, madhumita, murder charges, nidhi, pandey, political dimension, relationship, rohit, s child, santosh, special court, tripathi, vip treatment