Lucknow Zoo faces space crunch for housing leopardsSeptember 14th, 2008 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Sept 14 (ANI): Authorities in Lucknow Zoo, that has been a home to many rescued leopards, has been facing space crunch for keeping the animals.
Apart from the three big cats, the Zoo has given shelter to leopards rescued by wildlife authorities after they strayed into human habitat.
“Today, the Zoo has ten leopards which is more then our capacity to keep the animal. We have the capacity to keep four leopards and two other can be kept in our hospital. The leopards brought here are not from any other zoo, but are the ones rescued,” said Renu Singh, director of the Lucknow Zoo.
Spread over 24 hectares, the Zoo is a home to varied species of reptiles, birds and mammals.
Country’’s leopards are under threat, with increasing number of the wild cats being poached for their body parts and villagers killing them for straying into human settlements.
With tiger population dwindling in recent years as a result of poaching, wildlife officials say hunters have increasingly set their sights on leopards, killing them for their skins as well as bones, claws and penises for use in traditional Asian medicines.
Depletion of their habitat has also threatened the leopards, forcing them to stray into human settlements — attacking people and cattle — and often getting killed in return.
India had about 7,300 leopards according to a 1997 census, but conservationists say the number is now likely to be much lower. (ANI)
- Students campaign to save tigers in Coimbatore - Dec 17, 2010
- Two leopard skins seized in Dehradun - Aug 15, 2008
- Leopard killed by villagers in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 01, 2009
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Lion falls into trap meant for man-eater leopard in Gujarat village - Feb 06, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh villagers kill leopard for alleged trespassing into human settlement - Feb 21, 2010
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Leopard killed in Nainital road mishap - Nov 10, 2008
- Leopard tranquilised, shifted to Kashmir's Dachigam National Park - Mar 03, 2010
- Kashmir officials start radio collaring of leopards - Mar 19, 2012
- Leopard attacks on humans on rise in Himachal - Mar 01, 2010
- Barking dogs attract leopards from wild - Oct 10, 2011
- The white ghost of the Himalayas: A vision in the snow (Feature) - Mar 11, 2012
- Endangered animals crushed by vehicles - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: big cats, body parts, bones, cattle, census, conservationists, human habitat, human settlements, leopards, mammals, penises, renu, skins, space crunch, tiger population, traditional asian medicines, wild cats, wildlife authorities, wildlife officials, zoo