LTTE is a terrorist organization, India seeks Prabhakaran’s extradition every year: PranabMay 6th, 2009 - 11:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 6 (ANI): External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee has said that there is no confusion regarding status of the LTTE, and added that every year India seeks the extradition of Tamil Tigers chief V. Prabhakaran.
“Every year we ask for extradition of Prabhakaran. LTTE is a terrorist organization. It is banned in India, it is banned in Sri Lanka,” Mukherjee said.
The senior Congress leader was clarifying his party’s stand on LTTE being a terrorist organization while speaking exclusively to NDTV.
Commenting on the tie up with Left, Mukherjee said: “It is Left who deserted us by withdrawing support and that on an issue where we tried to resolve the differences by series of discussions.”
He also added: “What would happen after the Elections will depend on numbers. After all ours is a multi-party system. Which political party holds how many seats in a vast electorate of more than 710 million voters, it is very difficult to make any assessment, precise assessment before the poll results are out and even two phases elections have not yet taken place.” (ANI)
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- India extends ban on LTTE for two more years - May 14, 2010
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Karunanidhi says can't forgive LTTE for killing Rajiv Gandhi - Apr 20, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- Tribunal reserves order on Vaiko's plea against LTTE ban - Sep 24, 2010
- Five jailed by Hague court for helping LTTE - Oct 22, 2011
- Canada to curb illegal migrants before they depart for Canada - Aug 15, 2010
- India extends ban on LTTE by two more years (Second Lead) - May 14, 2010
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
- Radha Vinod Raju: a rare security expert, fine professional (Tribute) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: confusion, congress leader, elections, electorate, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, extradition, India, ltte, ndtv, New Delhi, poll results, prabhakaran, pranab mukherjee, precise assessment, sri lanka, tamil tigers, terrorist organization