LTTE chief Prabhakaran not a terrorist: M. KarunanidhiApril 19th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, April 19 (ANI): What may put the Congress party in a difficult situation to defend its UPA constituent Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’s stance, the Tamil Nadu chief minister and DMK chief M.Karunanidhi on Sunday said that he did not view Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam chief Velupillai Prabhakaran as a terrorist.
Replying to a question in an interview with NDTV, Karunanidhi was asked if he viewed Prabhakaran as a terrorist, he said: “No, I don’t. Some people involved in Prabhakran’s group may be involved in terrorism. But that is not Prabhakaran’s fault.”
He further said with a smile “Prabhakaran is my good friend, and I am not a terrorist.”
Karunanidhi justified LTTE’s objectives when asked if viewed the LTTE as a terrorist group.
“The LTTE’s goals are legitimate and genuine, to bring about Tamil Eelam, but terrorism crept into the outfit,” said Karunanidhi.
LTTE chief V. Prabhakaran is wanted as accused in the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination by LTTE. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi says can't forgive LTTE for killing Rajiv Gandhi - Apr 20, 2009
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- 2G scam: Karunanidhi sends legal notice to Swamy, it will land in dust bin, says Swamy - Feb 06, 2011
- Prabhakaran is not a terrorist, asserts Karunanidhi - Apr 19, 2009
- 2G scam: AIADMK demands dismissal of DMK Govt. for defending Raja - Dec 28, 2010
- 2G scam: AIADMK leaders protest to demand Raja's arrest - Dec 27, 2010
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Now, Ramadoss comes in support of Prabhakaran - Apr 26, 2009
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- India should support referendum for Tamil Eelam: Karunanidhi - Apr 18, 2012
- Karunanidhi now says LTTE is terror group - Apr 20, 2009
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- LTTE a terrorist outfit, no change in position: PM - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: chief minister, congress party, constituent, former prime minister, good friend, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte, m karunanidhi, ndtv, New Delhi, rajiv gandhi, smile, tamil nadu, terrorism, terrorist group, velupillai prabhakaran